Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Complete ACL Tear. Should I Defer?  (Read 1591 times)

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Complete ACL Tear. Should I Defer?
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
I tore my ACL last weekend in a way that will require it be replaced.

Before surgery, I have to go through four weeks of rehab to strengthen all the sprained ligaments around the knee.  After that, surgery would require the ligament of a cadaver for my replacement.  No weight can be placed on the leg for four weeks after the procedure followed by a couple of months of rehab.

I will not be able to have surgery before I start school on August 27th.  I doubt I will have a month off to rest during the winter break, so that means I'm with a completely torn ACL for the first year of law school, walking on icy sidewalks with crutches.

What do I do?

Am I a fool if I try to go?

Am I justified if I request a deferral?
Hofstra '10

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Complete ACL Tear. Should I Defer?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »
I'd defer. Recovery takes time and rest and I doubt you;d be able to get much of that worrying about 1L classes. Also, if you're hobbling around, you run the risk of injuring yourself further so I don't think it'd be worth it. Talk to the school, explain the situation and see if they'd let you defer.
Feel better!

Janitor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
I feel your pain.  A few years ago I tore my ACL, though yours sounds more serious.  I didn't sprain any other ligaments.  I agree with the above poster that you should defer.

It seems like you won't have enough recovery time during winter break before returning to school.  Consider all the time you will need to commit toward rehab (PT visits, home exercises, icing, etc.), and the fact that this will be during the winter.  I tore mine in May.  It blew my summer, but I didn't need to worry about ice and snow. 

Another option is that you put off surgery until next spring.  But you may miss out on summer employment opportunities.  You would also be walking on an ACL-less knee for several months, which could cause some damage to your meniscus and other ligaments. 

I think you have a strong argument to make to your school.  Good luck.

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice. 

This is a horrible situation.
Hofstra '10

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »
That sucks SF, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Do you have something to do (a job?) if you defer for a year? Are you moving for school, and if so, have you already done so?

If you can defer for a year, I think you should. Be healed and fully ready for LS. I can't imagine your school won't allow this, but you should defintiely check with them ASAP.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
I face a (somewhat) similar situation, and am leaning towards NOT taking a year off. My reasoning is that I don't want any circumstances -- unfortunate as they may be -- to stop me from accomplishing what I've spent years looking forward to. Then again, my situation is not temporary as yours is so it's not like my "problem" will be "fixed" by waiting.

Ultimately, though, if going to law school is what you want to do then you should do it regardless of the added challenge of caring for your ACL tear.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:57:25 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that, SF. 
Of course you'll have to do what's best for you, ultimately.  And I can't tell you what that is.  But I would recommend deferring.  I can tell you firsthand that 1L is challenging enough without this hanging over your head. 
Best of luck, and happy healing!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
I just want to know what you did to tear your ACL that badly.  Jesus Christ!

FWIW, I say defer as well.  You'll only lose a year.  You can't make up bad first year grades, and it will be difficult to do well with this as an added distraction.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
I just want to know what you did to tear your ACL that badly.  Jesus Christ!

FWIW, I say defer as well.  You'll only lose a year.  You can't make up bad first year grades, and it will be difficult to do well with this as an added distraction.

Just bad luck.  Driving to the basket playing basketball, I heard a crunch, my leg gave way and I was rolling on the floor in some serious, serious agony. 

Bad timing more than bad luck, really.

I'm really worried about how this could potentially affect my grades. 

I'm a paralegal at a criminal defense firm and I was kinda happy to stop going to jail every day, but my employers say it's not worth risking the first semester grades.  They say it's easier to convince Hofstra to defer me than to convince my first employer why my first semester grades were awful.

I hate this so much.  I can't do anything to right this immediately.
Hofstra '10

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »
I would withdraw; you could even retake the LSAT during your year off and try and test the waters at a higher tier of schools... never know, could be a blessing in disguise.