Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: email request for recs?  (Read 3694 times)

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: email request for recs?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »
I would just write a polite email explaining that you're applying to law school this fall. Ask if she will write an LOR for you, but provide an out to make it easier for her to back out if she doesn't want to write one (courtesy.) It's not that big of a deal if you're polite.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »
Oh god, I wrote about a page. Now I'm going to have a heart attack until she replies. Breathe breathe breathe.

I gave her an out "I do understand that with teaching and your new novel, you might not have the time, but thank you for taking the time to read this email, best regards, [me]"
university of southern california 2011

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:39:08 PM »
this thread is approved. how about sending letters in the mail?

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:42:20 AM »
I just e-mailed two last night, both of whom I've never met. One already agreed, just asking for a PS and resume (ouch).

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:53:21 AM »
I just e-mailed two last night, both of whom I've never met. One already agreed, just asking for a PS and resume (ouch).

uh, that is so TTT
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
Keep in mind that you do not have to get all of your letters of recommendation from professors.  If you have been working for a while, you really should get a letter of recommendation from your employer/supervisor.

An employer letter of recommendation can be particularly helpful since your employer would have more interactions with you and would probably have more in-depth knowledge of your abilities.

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »
I live in the city in which I go to school, so I just emailed ahead and asked for an appointment to meet with professors.  It is summer, and neither of them had major research projects going, so it was OK.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
Sample Email:

Subj: Law School Recommendation

Dear NAME,

I hope you are enjoying the summer. Now that I have surivived the LSAT, I am preparing my law school applications!

I really enjoyed participating in your _____________ class last SEMESTER/YEAR/ETC and wondered if you would consider writing a recommendation on my behalf? Thank you for your consideration! I will provide you with my resume and a summary statement outlining my career goals. I can also pass on some of the law school admission experts' suggested recommendation writing guidelines, if you would find those helpful.

The recommendation deadline is [INVENT A DEADLINE AND STICK TO IT!]. If you think someone else would be better suited to this task, there are no hard feelings!

Please call or email me [contact info] and we can coordinate a time to chat on the phone or meet in person. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best,
NAME

Email/Phone number
Vanderbilt 2010

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 03:56:42 AM »
Sample Email:

Subj: Law School Recommendation

Dear NAME,

I hope you are enjoying the summer. Now that I have surivived the LSAT, I am preparing my law school applications!

I really enjoyed participating in your _____________ class last SEMESTER/YEAR/ETC and wondered if you would consider writing a recommendation on my behalf? Thank you for your consideration! I will provide you with my resume and a summary statement outlining my career goals. I can also pass on some of the law school admission experts' suggested recommendation writing guidelines, if you would find those helpful.

The recommendation deadline is [INVENT A DEADLINE AND STICK TO IT!]. If you think someone else would be better suited to this task, there are no hard feelings!

Please call or email me [contact info] and we can coordinate a time to chat on the phone or meet in person. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best,
NAME

Email/Phone number

Oh my gosh, that is wonderful.  Thanks so much for a sample.  I truly had little idea as to how to approach my professors and seeing this really helped, no lie.  Thanks!

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
Oh god, I wrote about a page. Now I'm going to have a heart attack until she replies. Breathe breathe breathe.

I gave her an out "I do understand that with teaching and your new novel, you might not have the time, but thank you for taking the time to read this email, best regards, [me]"

Did you ever hear back?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago