Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: email request for recs?  (Read 3804 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: email request for recs?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:59 PM »
I may be late to the dance, but ...

I emailed my professors in late August for LOR's last cycle - just to see if they were willing to do it (had time, etc.) and I explained what they were about and when I needed them in - oh, and I said I would give them written work from the classes I had taken w/ them and my resume, etc.  So 3 said yes and I sent/gave them my resume/written work, etc. and the forms from LSAC/LSDAS and they sent them in - all went smoothly.

JusAccrescendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JusAbstinendi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »
I just e-mailed two last night, both of whom I've never met. One already agreed, just asking for a PS and resume (ouch).

uh, that is so TTT

lol. What a @#!*.
I have studied and thoroughly mastered the laws of logic. So to argue that I sometimes violate the laws of logic in ordinary conversation would be like arguing that some physicist circumvents the laws of physics in everyday life.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jusabstinendi

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:34 PM »
I've actually gotten three to agree by e-mail now. Unfortunately, I have never actually managed to get one to send a letter. One I met in person and I have some hope for (since that was just a week ago), but another hasn't responded to four e-mails over a period of a month and a half now. I just got another one to agree two days ago, but he said it would be " very short", obviously code for "bad". If he thought that would scare me off, he was terribly misinformed, and I e-mailed back to thank him effusively. I can only hope he has more commitment than the last one. Even if I get just the one (which I am not counting on), at least I can apply to NYU, Michigan and Georgetown. 

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »
I've actually gotten three to agree by e-mail now. Unfortunately, I have never actually managed to get one to send a letter. One I met in person and I have some hope for (since that was just a week ago), but another hasn't responded to four e-mails over a period of a month and a half now. I just got another one to agree two days ago, but he said it would be " very short", obviously code for "bad". If he thought that would scare me off, he was terribly misinformed, and I e-mailed back to thank him effusively. I can only hope he has more commitment than the last one. Even if I get just the one (which I am not counting on), at least I can apply to NYU, Michigan and Georgetown. 

Although I'm merely a fellow law school applicant, I'm inclined to caution you regarding your noncommittal prof.  Most LORs do little to enhance an applicant's file; therefore, it is essential that you procure the best LORs possible. You want someone who will recommend you wholeheartedly, not begrudgingly.  You want someone who will endeavor to present you in the most positive light and nothing less.

Do you have any other options? Have you thought of asking a TA with whom you have great rapport?  Tenured faculty members are always preferred, but a warm TA familiar with your personality, academic ability, and strong work ethic is definitely better than a lukewarm professor who only knows your face.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »
Lucky-- with a reluctant recommender like that, you should provide them with a little bit about your accomplishments either in their class or in college in general.  They probably just don't want to think about and come up with unique things to write about.  They will probably come pretty close to copy/pasting what you give to them to reduce the amount of work they have to do.

Ditto! I won't apply to law school until next fall, I plan to present my LOR writers with a short letter and resume, entailing my strengths and what I'd like them to discuss in their letters. Contrary to what people think, the student can direct the LOR writing process through careful strategy.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me