Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School in St. Louis if I want to eventually work in Chicago?  (Read 974 times)

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
27yo STL resident here ... applying to Wash U and SLU for Fall 08 ... 166 LSAT and 3.95 UGPA ... eventually I'd probably like to land in Chicago for work so my question is what your guys' thoughts on going to school in STL if down the line I'd like to work in Chicago is?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: School in St. Louis if I want to eventually work in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
You'll get a good scholarship from WUSTL, but if you can move, I'd suggest applying to UIUC and some of the lower T14.
2L

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »
Yeah buddy you should shoot for UIUC as a pretty good safety/ target.  With those numbers you have a decent shot at Cornell and maybe a little less so at Duke and Boalt, but its definitely worth a shot.  Don't let rankings fool you, UIUC almost assuredly places better in Chicago biglaw than WUSL.

Edit: and don't you dare settle for SLU ... a good school but your numbers are too good.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

redacted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »
27yo STL resident here ... applying to Wash U and SLU for Fall 08 ... 166 LSAT and 3.95 UGPA ... eventually I'd probably like to land in Chicago for work so my question is what your guys' thoughts on going to school in STL if down the line I'd like to work in Chicago is?

For reference: I had about a 166/3.5 and got 25k/year from WUSTL and 15k/year from UIUC.  Chicago is a city I'd love to end up at (see my previous threads for more info), but when I wasn't 100% sure I decided to go to the best school (and Austin is unbelievable).  The moral of this story: you can do better, possibly much better, than WUSTL and SLU.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:26:02 PM »
I predict $45,000 from UIUC. Maybe $60,000.

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 02:19:46 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone! 

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »
Whats UIUC?  U of Illinois-Chicago?

By the way... SLU is way too low for you.  100% guarnateed admission according to LSAC.  They'd be lucky to have you, not the other way around.  You want your decision to go to law school to pay off, dont you?
_______
.|E|R|S.

RageLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Now SLU has the #1 ranked Health Law program in the country and health law is definitely of interest to me considering my background (pharmaceutical sales).  Does that change anything?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »
Now SLU has the #1 ranked Health Law program in the country and health law is definitely of interest to me considering my background (pharmaceutical sales).  Does that change anything?

Consensus is that specialty rankings mean very little, at least in terms of career prospects.

Definitely shoot for UIUC, and I would absolutely send an application to Northwestern as well.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »

Consensus is that specialty rankings mean very little, at least in terms of career prospects.

Ditto on that.  I once dropped $1,000 to take a class in dog poo law.  Turns out the class was in some crazy trailer park and the dude didn't know what he was talking about.  Sure enough though it probably was the best dog poo speciality out there... just not worth the money I paid for the class.

*shrug*
_______
.|E|R|S.