Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are we delusional? How not to be one of the miserable $ unemployed  (Read 2556 times)

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are we delusional? How not to be one of the miserable $ unemployed
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
I have also had some concerns about my law school decision after reading some of the negative posts and blogs lately. To be honest, it kind of scared me. I talked to my SO about it and he reassured me that people make their own successes. I dont have a 10 year plan, but I intend to do well on the LSAT so that I can have some money offers from my choice schools and incur as little debt as possible.  So I guess I have a 3 month plan for now.
I have a finance background so I tend to plan and budget things.  It's mostly busy work but I don't feel confortable without a map. You can do what works for you. 

I had a few moments of apprehension after reviewing the posts here. It's natural.  People are like herd animals they feel the need to roll with the pack rather than make thier own path.  That applies to failure.  People like to fail with others as well and if they are alone they will make every attempt to drag you down with them.  The weakest of them get on sites like this for the mass media effect so they can intimidate you and cause you to quit and fail.

Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »
I have also had some concerns about my law school decision after reading some of the negative posts and blogs lately. To be honest, it kind of scared me. I talked to my SO about it and he reassured me that people make their own successes. I dont have a 10 year plan, but I intend to do well on the LSAT so that I can have some money offers from my choice schools and incur as little debt as possible.  So I guess I have a 3 month plan for now.
I have a finance background so I tend to plan and budget things.  It's mostly busy work but I don't feel confortable without a map. You can do what works for you. 

I had a few moments of apprehension after reviewing the posts here. It's natural.  People are like herd animals they feel the need to roll with the pack rather than make thier own path.  That applies to failure.  People like to fail with others as well and if they are alone they will make every attempt to drag you down with them.  The weakest of them get on sites like this for the mass media effect so they can intimidate you and cause you to quit and fail.

I think that makes it sound more insideous than it is.  Law school is very difficult.  Many (most?) students go from being normal, happy, successful people to being depressed and extrinsically motivated during school.  This extrinsic motivation drives them to sites where they can continue to compare stats and find validation with other students.  It isn't to make you feel bad or you fail out (or at least I don't think that is the main motivation).  It is a vain attempt to make themselves feel better.

And don't kid yourself; you probably will feel this way yourself at some point.  Everyone does, sometimes.  The non-trads might have it easier, because we have a more developed sense of self and may be a bit more intrinsically motivated to start with, but there are still bad days.  So, I guess I am just saying not to be too hard on whatever bit of neurosis someone else is going through.

And don't forget law school is a mistake for some percentage of the people who go.  Those who do not want to be lawyers, who are not interested in the law, and who cannot think of anything better to do with themselves.  It is particularly tough on those who are going just because it seems better than getting a job in the "real world."
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »

I think that makes it sound more insideous than it is.  Law school is very difficult.  Many (most?) students go from being normal, happy, successful people to being depressed and extrinsically motivated during school.  This extrinsic motivation drives them to sites where they can continue to compare stats and find validation with other students.  It isn't to make you feel bad or you fail out (or at least I don't think that is the main motivation).  It is a vain attempt to make themselves feel better.

And don't kid yourself; you probably will feel this way yourself at some point.  Everyone does, sometimes.  The non-trads might have it easier, because we have a more developed sense of self and may be a bit more intrinsically motivated to start with, but there are still bad days.  So, I guess I am just saying not to be too hard on whatever bit of neurosis someone else is going through.

And don't forget law school is a mistake for some percentage of the people who go.  Those who do not want to be lawyers, who are not interested in the law, and who cannot think of anything better to do with themselves.  It is particularly tough on those who are going just because it seems better than getting a job in the "real world."
I'll give you that.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »

Co-signed.  Very well put, aerynn.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:02 PM »
Thanks Jolie!   :)
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »
As an incessant researcher I have no doubt come across some of the same stuff you guys have:

- the employment stats for new ls grads suck
- only the top of the iveys get jobs
- the debt load crushes any chances for work
- it was the biggest mistake of so-and-so's life
- law school students are miserable and lawyers are drug addicts with a penchant for dicount whores
- etc., etc.

Not that I discount the pretty staggering mountain of evidence that suggests law is not the pie in the sky career choice so many think it is, but I'd sure love to hear how so many of us non-trads are justifying our return to school.

I do not think I'm so special that none of the stats will apply to me. I do think that I have a different definition of a successful career than students who maybe haven't worked for ten years in middle level, dead end careers. So, I like to think I won't be so insulted by an offer to do contract work or 45K a year.

I also have some relevent sales, training and marketing experience I hope would suggest to employers that I don't have to be trained on the basics of "how to work in the real world."

I'm open to moving just about anywhere and I'm vetting schools based on the COA for the very purpose of not having a 100k student loan monkey on my back. And, look, I'm one of those people that has worked an actual crappy job - scheduled bathroom breaks, ridiculous work schedules, abusive management - so long hours and working to prove yourself doesn't sound like hell to me.

I mean...have I not thought of most things? Or am I crazy to think I won't be one of the posters over at Anna Ivey's blog or this guy's blog (http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com/)nine months to a year post graduation?

How have you guys reasoned this to yourself and to your loved one's?  And if i'm missing something please let me know.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive today. :)

the bolded says it all. consider the source man that's all i can say. most of the horror stories can mostly be summed up into: i went to law school because lawyers make a lot of money. i gave no thought to if this was something i really wanted to do and did no research on what law school would really entail. i opened US News and world report and went to the school with the lowest number by its name that i could get into. i really just want the prestige of saying that im a lawyer and i went to so and so school and so im better than you. you went to a school with a bigger US News number next to it then mine so you're a moron and should just go apply for welfare now because you will be an unemployed loser for the rest of your life. i have no real work experience and no knowledge of how the professional world really works and although im 23-24 have never ever had to support myself and stand on my own two feet with no one including mommy and daddy to fall back on. all i've ever done is go to school but i will argue adamently with anyone who does. i will insist that they just don't know what it's like to have the pressure of law school. i mean if i don't graduate at the top of my class my life will be over you just have no idea what that kind of "pressure" is like. i will smirk and make snide comments because i'm a full grown 2X year old and i know a little something about a little something. you think because you're older and you've been where i've been already that means something, that means nothing. wait until you get called on by a teacher in the dreaded socratic method we'll see whos laughing then. wait until you are so busy that you can't even talk to your friends that's stress buddy! just you wait. LOL don't sweat it man....
...man, you was who you was before you got here