Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Need Based Grants  (Read 968 times)

myconfessions

• ''Denny Crane, legal genius.'' -Denny Crane
    • View Profile
GW Need Based Grants
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »
Has anyone got a need based grant from GW or have any idea of how hard it is to get one?  I am wondering how much need must be provided to receive a grant. 
GW Law Class of 2010

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: GW Nedd Based Grants
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »
They decide whether you're dependent or independent and use this information to determine whether you can afford to meet the amount allocated in the student budget after they assume you'll be taking the full 20,500 for Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized). They'll raise the budget for you if you have exceptional circumstances, and this could factor into what -- if anything -- you get. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Need Based Grants
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
Has anyone got a need based grant from GW or have any idea of how hard it is to get one?  I am wondering how much need must be provided to receive a grant. 

The one thing I have heard (from a current GW student) is that if you get one the first year, they're infamous for yanking them for 2L/3L.

myconfessions

• ''Denny Crane, legal genius.'' -Denny Crane
    • View Profile
Re: GW Need Based Grants
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
I'm familiar with how the process works, but I'm less sure of how many students actually get one.  I've seen quite a few students get merit based aid, but as of yet haven't seen any need based awards. 
GW Law Class of 2010