Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 2/3/4 Read This Blog  (Read 2109 times)

MariannaBLS

• View Profile
Re: Tier 2/3/4 Read This Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »
Your right.  Don't rely on my, or some other anonymous person's generalizations.  (eg. all the lawyers I know are doing okay/or are in poverty; my sister's boyfriends, aunts, second cousin, first removed went there and she is making alot of money, etc.).

What you need to do is call up your law school, get a hold of a '05/'06 commencement exercise program.   Pick out 10 random people and try to get into contact with them.  

nycesq2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - NYCESQ2005
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »
dont forget

nycdefensefirms.googlepages.c om

I graduated from BLS several years ago, and can confirm the salaries are on target. As a bottom 1/2er from BLS, the road has NOT been easy. Marianna's messages, however negative and depressing they seem, have a ring of truth to it. The reason the lawyers you talk in real life don't tell these things to your face is because they are ashamed/embarassed to admit it in your face. But deep down, they feel the same as Marianna. Heck, if I were to post my current salary at my job right now - I'd probably get some snickers and comments like "oh come on, you make much more than that!!". Sadly, it is true. Unless you are working for a big firm right out of the gate (which is only about 15-25% of the class get biglaw at OCI) the stark truth is you will be working for these low wages and then compete to move up over the years...the only reason my messages aren't as negative is because my loan debt isn't that bad (55K total including college), and I saved $$ because I lived at home during LS (commuted to BLS). Otherwise, if I knew I came out of BLS with over 100K in loans to face a starting salary of only $45-60K, I'd probably jump off the Empire State Bldg too.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »
Your right.  Don't rely on my, or some other anonymous person's generalizations.  (eg. all the lawyers I know are doing okay/or are in poverty; my sister's boyfriends, aunts, second cousin, first removed went there and she is making alot of money, etc.).

What you need to do is call up your law school, get a hold of a '05/'06 commencement exercise program.   Pick out 10 random people and try to get into contact with them.  

You are the only anonymous person in that statement.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »
In all fairness though, maybe I am picking on the wrong person. You do seem to have more credibility than Wiimie.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 07:01:57 PM »
she's been whining on jdunderground for several months.  She thought about looking for a job, but decided to waste some more of her time here.

MariannaBLS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »
I have been unemployed.  Been sending out resumes, and have no money.  I am living in my parent's basement. 

TrollPatrol

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »
I have been unemployed.  Been sending out resumes, and have no money.  I am living in my parent's basement. 

Wow, we should really take your advice then, because you’re such a success story. Too bad Ken Lay is dead; I could use some good advice on how to run an energy company too. 

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,90642.msg2329165.html#msg2329165
The Bitter Troll.  What sets these trolls apart from other
classifications is their behavior after they have been spotted and
labeled as trolls.  Angry, frustrated, and resentful the BT will wage a campaign of indignant complaints and personal attacks against any who disagree with their view.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 07:49:53 PM »
People who can't make over 80k doc contract atty work are people who have no right to blame their school - they themselves are to blame. Now granted, many many people who go to law school would have been better off not going and becoming paralegals, but still it's more money than it takes to move out of your parents house.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
Yeah, the people who have time to female dog about not finding work aren't spending enough time trying to find work.

That said, some of the optimism that I've seen in some people (assuming that they'll find paying summer work, assuming that they'll be making 90k out the gate) is a bit sickening.

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
Life is hard, lets all cry together, about our loans and our "problems" people in other countries DONT HAVE JOBS OR FOOD ON THE TABLE! And people are here whining about money, SHUT UP AND MAKING SOMETHING OF YOURSELF! I know what I'm getting myself into, it might be hard to find a job but OH WELL! If it was easy EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT AND THEY WOULD ALL GET RICH! But thats a fantasy, its not reality. So lets all calm down, STFU and Relax! This way we can enjoy life and not be anxious about law school. =0)