Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CitiBank: horrible customer service  (Read 2202 times)

lawchica

• View Profile
CitiBank: horrible customer service
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »
Okay, so I know everyone here is rational and if we are applying for loans, we will likely go with the lender that offers the best rate, but I thought I'd add my two sense here about a rather unpleasant experience I've had with CitiBank.

After weeks of researching, I came down to Total Higher Education and CitiAssist for private loans. Two perks about CitiAssist not found in THE are longer payment period (20 vs. 15) and option to consolidate

I don't know if by some freakish coincidence I keep getting the same representative, but I've found the Citi Reps to be some of the most rude customer service people I have ever dealt with.

Yesterday, I called to ask about loan consolidation- I asked if I were to apply for consolidation now, what would be entailed, what factors would be considered and what would be the range of interest rates that are generally settled upon.(speaking in present terms since these reps are super anal about quoting anything in the future)

First of all, the woman kept cutting me off and acting like she had somewhere else to be, she pretended like my questions were so above her. She said she couldn't give any information about consolidation, she couldn't give me a present range, and that the factors change every year so she couldn't tell me anything specific.  By the end of the conversation I was so frustrated that I just told her she was being unbelievably rude b/c this was the first time I was applying for loans, and the consolidation option was my deciding factor between the two lenders. She said that it was my opinion, and that she wasn't and when I said excuse me, she just said "have a good evening" and hung up the phone without even letting me speak.

This was an extreme case but I've noticed the general demeanor of a lot of the customer service reps at CitiBank are akin to this woman. The rep I spoke to a few weeks ago told me that consolidation was not even available yet when in fact, it became available last October.

The next rep I called was a little nicer and explained to me that I need to have at least 2 private loans outstanding above $7500 and within 2 years of graduating in order to be eligible for consolidation. Additionally, she said the range of consolidation rates are 9% to 13%.

Maybe I sound elitist, but I suppose if I were a customer service rep getting phone calls from people actually making something of their lives by trying to receive a better education while I chose to answer phones all day, I might be a little short fused too..but geez, seriously, I'm not even a customer yet, and they treat me like this?

I get better rates with THE as is and personally, if they treat prospective customers like this, I shudder to think how they treat the ones they already have.

Hope this helps someone and if my experiences are not the norm, then please do share.

I apologize for the vent...I was just so unnerved but figured you'd all understand ;)

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CitiBank: horrible customer service
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:48:03 PM »
Yeah...Im so OVER Citibank right now...

I got my bar loan through them. The original dispersal date was 5/30/07. I didnt get the money until last week. Talk about pissed.  >:(

And every time I called there I was told a different story. I mean...don't those people all read from the same script?? How could they have so many different versions of how long it takes to do something? 5-7 days no wait, 10-14 days on second thought 17-21 days blahblahblahblahblah.

And then...the last woman I talked to INSISTED that I was still in school. I said "No Im not." She said "Well, yes you are, your graduation date is listed as August 2007." I said "Who graduates law school in August? Im not in school anymore" she said "are you sure?" I said "YES!!!!!! I'm sure" She said "hold on"

Its not rocket science people.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »
To the OP -- why would you go with private loans in the first place?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »

Current rate for private = 6.75%, while GradPLUS is 8.5% + 3% origination. You also have 9 months to start paying back the private loans as opposed to 30 days with the GradPLUS.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »
This is a damn sad thread. I hope you people are going to T14 schools.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »
This is a damn sad thread. I hope you people are going to T14 schools.

Just wondering but how much do you get paid per hour for posting here? If you're not paid to do this then you're wasting your time. What kind of person spends all day talking down to people? Do you have nothing else to do? Oh wait, I've figured it out. Wiimote works for CitiBank!  :P
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:36:49 PM »

Current rate for private = 6.75%, while GradPLUS is 8.5% + 3% origination. You also have 9 months to start paying back the private loans as opposed to 30 days with the GradPLUS.
Is that a fixed rate? And why are the private consolidation rates you stated significantly higher than the original loan rate, whereas federal loan consolidation rates are the weighted average of your existing rates? And wouldn't the paying back timeframe on the original loan be negated by consolidation repayment terms?

Weasy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:50:12 AM »

I've found the Citi Reps to be some of the most rude customer service people I have ever dealt with.
she just said "have a good evening" and hung up the phone without even letting me speak.
This was an extreme case but I've noticed the general demeanor of a lot of the customer service reps at CitiBank are akin to this woman.
Maybe I sound elitist, but I suppose if I were a customer service rep getting phone calls from people actually making something of their lives by trying to receive a better education while I chose to answer phones all day, I might be a little short fused too..but geez, seriously, I'm not even a customer yet, and they treat me like this?
I used to answer phones for a large bank. I left after it became apparent that they would rather focus on selling new products to the customers than teach reps to actually resolve their problems effectively. I completely understand your frustration.

However, most of the people I worked with were trying to make something of their lives - they were in school or saving up for it, or trying to support their families by working hard for a promotion that would get them off the phones. (I was saving for law school.) Very few people really want to sit tethered to a telephone all day, answering people's questions about loans but it pays pretty well and they're always hiring due to the high turnover.

A lot of people behave unreasonably on the phone and customer service reps take a lot of abuse; that's no excuse for the woman you spoke with being rude or hanging up on you (soo not allowed) but it may help you understand why she's grumpy. Generally, if you're nice to the rep, they'll be more helpful. I always tried to stay as polite as possible on the phone and get answers if I didn't know what to do for someone. Not everyone is so careful or well informed though, so yeah, you may run into bad reps. Your best option is to politely request to speak with a supervisor if you're not being helped.

I see no reason to reward companies for their bad practices, so get your loan through someone else. (And I shouldn't need to say this here, but... read your loan documents carefully!!)
University of Arizona 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:20:42 AM »

I've found the Citi Reps to be some of the most rude customer service people I have ever dealt with.
she just said "have a good evening" and hung up the phone without even letting me speak.
This was an extreme case but I've noticed the general demeanor of a lot of the customer service reps at CitiBank are akin to this woman.
I used to answer phones for a large bank. I left after it became apparent that they would rather focus on selling new products to the customers than teach reps to actually resolve their problems effectively. I completely understand your frustration.

However, most of the people I worked with were trying to make something of their lives - they were in school or saving up for it, or trying to support their families by working hard for a promotion that would get them off the phones. (I was saving for law school.) Very few people really want to sit tethered to a telephone all day, answering people's questions about loans but it pays pretty well and they're always hiring due to the high turnover.

A lot of people behave unreasonably on the phone and customer service reps take a lot of abuse; that's no excuse for the woman you spoke with being rude or hanging up on you (soo not allowed) but it may help you understand why she's grumpy. Generally, if you're nice to the rep, they'll be more helpful. I always tried to stay as polite as possible on the phone and get answers if I didn't know what to do for someone. Not everyone is so careful or well informed though, so yeah, you may run into bad reps. Your best option is to politely request to speak with a supervisor if you're not being helped.

I see no reason to reward companies for their bad practices, so get your loan through someone else. (And I shouldn't need to say this here, but... read your loan documents carefully!!)

I totally agree. I worked in several call centers after college because I was trying to move into a new field and they were usually flexible enough to work around a class schedule. A good percentage of my coworkers were also in school trying to get into a better field or hoping to get a promotion, which is fairly easy if you can stick it out for a year.

Call centers have a lot of BS rules like trying to keep your talk time down. Whatever field it is, there is usually some sort of sales aspect at the end of the call that is more important than actually answering the customer's question.