Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?  (Read 15689 times)

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
Re: PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
::Note to self::

a.  Never get married (again)
b.  If you get married, get pre-nup
c.  Never trust anyone
d.  Marriage isn't guaranteee
e.  Make your own money and don't depend on your spouse
f.  Each man for himself
g.  Hide $$$

h.  remember that love is an illusion
i.  money is the primary measure of a human's worth
j.  think about starting alimony futures trade network
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
::changes business model::

::forms LLP with qui::

::Jumps in and makes it an LLC::

LETS START DIVORCIN' FOLKS

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »
::changes mind::

::starts divorce insurance for husbands who are afraid to request a prenup and wives whose husbands did (or vice versa)::

::patents idea::
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

Too Embarrassed

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »
::Delete This Thread soon:::

That trumps everyone! hehehe ;D

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2007, 07:46:45 PM »

too bad you don't have the power, just like prenups don't have the power to fully protect your assets.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Too Embarrassed

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »

too bad you don't have the power, just like prenups don't have the power to fully protect your assets.

Well, I have the POWER to lock this thread! muuuhahahaha! ;D

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »

lock perhaps, but not delete. :)
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:04 PM »

Your blueb's alt aren't you?
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2007, 09:02:23 AM »
How is it his stuff if she sacrificed her independence and self-reliance and spent 20 years catering to him so that he could become that bigwig executive?  At the very least he should reimburse her for lost wages. (at the going rate for a scretary if he's determined to be a prick about it)

I don't even know that she sacrificed anything. There's plenty of women looking to get 'married well' so they don't have to work and stand on their own feet. There's no sacrifice to them, they get to live the life of Paris Hilton, shopping without having an income etc. I'm not saying this is the case for ljg's example, but there's plenty of women who actively seek to not have to do jack *&^%. I don't feel the least bit sorry for these people when their sugar daddy packs up and leave. If you based your life on marriage and decided to not amount to a productive human being yourself; @#!* you.

Yet again, this isn't relevant to ljg's example at all, I know nothing about neither of these people. It is however my very strong opinion that money and wealth belongs to the person who created it. No, being a house wife isn't a $500k/year job. Especially if you're not doing house work to begin with, that'd done by Carmen the illegal maid.

The more I talk to women about these kind of things, the more reassured I become I'll never want to marry any of you.

Ravynous Elegance

• Sr. Citizen
  • aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
How is it his stuff if she sacrificed her independence and self-reliance and spent 20 years catering to him so that he could become that bigwig executive?  At the very least he should reimburse her for lost wages. (at the going rate for a scretary if he's determined to be a prick about it)

I don't even know that she sacrificed anything. There's plenty of women looking to get 'married well' so they don't have to work and stand on their own feet. There's no sacrifice to them, they get to live the life of Paris Hilton, shopping without having an income etc. I'm not saying this is the case for ljg's example, but there's plenty of women who actively seek to not have to do jack sh*t. I don't feel the least bit sorry for these people when their sugar daddy packs up and leave. If you based your life on marriage and decided to not amount to a productive human being yourself; @#!* you.

Yet again, this isn't relevant to ljg's example at all, I know nothing about neither of these people. It is however my very strong opinion that money and wealth belongs to the person who created it. No, being a house wife isn't a $500k/year job. Especially if you're not doing house work to begin with, that'd done by Carmen the illegal maid.

The more I talk to women about these kind of things, the more reassured I become I'll never want to marry any of you.

Technically Paris Hilton has an income....

Once you get married, saying that the wealth and money belongs to you because you earned it will create a lot of dissent and possibly grounds for divorce. If your wife has to stay home to take care of the house and kids and little things like grocery shopping while you're at work all day, I'd say thats splitting it about equally. All because she isn't getting paid for her work, doesn't make it less valuable that what you are doing for a salary.

Even if you do have help like a housekeeper, I highly doubt any of us will end up with live in chefs, nannies, and gardners as well. There is still a lot to be done around the house. Additionally, more and more people don't want nannies because they actually want to be raising their own children. I'd say raising a child to be a useful contributing member of society can be a full time job.
Vanderbilt University School of Law 2010