Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?  (Read 15743 times)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
There's nothing wrong with a prenup except that it isn't very romantic.

What I was getting at earlier and now return to:

romance and the legal institution of marriage are two distinct, though often conflated, things.

I'm not really sure what point you're making.

If I were about to marry someone, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get a prenup," I'm probably marrying the wrong person. 

Titcar

silly.

::won't explain why here.  doesn't want to hijack::

I think a lot of confusion comes from the conflation of romantic ideals with the institution of marriage.  Two people can live a lovely life together forever and forever; two people can get married.  You can have either without the other.

It seems to me that the concept of marriage is taken in proxy to represent the romantic ideals.  I find this completely flawed. 

Of course, my stance causes me no end of grief in relationships.   ;)

Oh, ok.  I agree to some extent. 

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »
Can I author a prenup that withholds assets as she withholds sex??

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
Can I author a prenup that withholds assets as she withholds sex??

:D :D :D

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
To be fair to hank and qui, if what they meant was something like, "If I were about to marry someone, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get a prenup because I feel this person intends to stab me in the back," I'm probably marrying the wrong person," then I agree too.

Yes, I would agree with that statement.

Too Embarrassed

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
It should be more like:

"I'm taking a leap of faith with this person I'm deeply in love with.  I know, there are no guarantees in life.  If things don't work out, I want to be fair and maintain a good standad of living for myself and our kids (if any).  If this relationship ends, I don't want to be blind sided or be in a situation where I'll HATE this person I'm currently in love with.  I want to put all my cards on the table right now and discuss directions we should take and reach a mutual agreement now in the even that things don't work out in the future."

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
It should be more like:

"I'm taking a leap of faith with this person I'm deeply in love with.  I know, there are no guarantees in life.  If things don't work out, I want to be fair and maintain a good standad of living for myself and our kids (if any).  If this relationship ends, I don't want to be blind sided or be in a situation where I'll HATE this person I'm currently in love with.  I want to put all my cards on the table right now and discuss directions we should take and reach a mutual agreement now in the even that things don't work out in the future."

But I just know that my gf and I will always be together.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
It should be more like:

But I just know that my gf and I will always be together.

::plots evilly::

::Looks forward to evil plot::

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
Any guy that asks me for a prenup can go @#!* himself.  :)

Golddigger.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
To be fair to hank and qui, if what they meant was something like, "If I were about to marry someone, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get a prenup because I feel this person intends to stab me in the back," I'm probably marrying the wrong person," then I agree too.

Nah, at least for me:

If I were about to marry someone, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get a prenup because I feel this person may some day stab me in the back," I'm definitely marrying the wrong person.

But wouldn't you be worried that over the course of say, 20-30 years, things could change?  The other person doesn't even necessarily need to stab you in the back, maybe you just grow apart, etc.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
don't hurt me.   :-\

literally made me LOLZ
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.