Law School Discussion

PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?

Re: PRENUP - why is it such a sore topic?
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2007, 09:45:03 AM »

everyone has been thinking about salary this and salary that.  what about investment income?  real estate, stocks, whathaveyou.  if one partner makes a shrewd investment or a series of shrewd investments, why should the other partner have a 50% interest in the income from that investment?

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
But it's not just about how much money cleaning/raising kids is worth.  It's also about the professional sacrifices the woman made to do that.  ljg's post is a great example of that.

That's why housewives should earn a salary from their husbands.  If the woman doesn't save that money and gets screwed over in a divorce, that's her fault.

what a clown

While it was originally meant fascetiously, I do feel that if a husband expects his wife to stay at home with the babies, provided she is giving up a potentially lucrative career, he should provide her with some sort of compensation outide the amount necessary for upkeep, rearing the kids, etc.  

-OR-

This is what I would do: siphon off money from the joint account every month into another account of which the husband is not aware.  If he decides he wants a divorce...oops!  I have tons of money he doesn't know about.  

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »

everyone has been thinking about salary this and salary that.  what about investment income?  real estate, stocks, whathaveyou.  if one partner makes a shrewd investment or a series of shrewd investments, why should the other partner have a 50% interest in the income from that investment?

Agreed.  But sometimes life is not fair, like how you earn money and it is taxed, then you put the leftover money into stocks and then they are taxed again when you sell them. 

However, the agreement with my BF is that he will retire and become a househusband when we start a family.  His job will be managing our investments, but we both know that he will just be playing with stocks for which I've provided the purchase money.  I would damn well expect my share of the profits from his schrewd investing.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »
But it's not just about how much money cleaning/raising kids is worth.  It's also about the professional sacrifices the woman made to do that.  ljg's post is a great example of that.

I'd agree, this should be taken into consideration.  I still agree with everything e is saying though.  I don't think the woman is entitled to nothing, I just don't think she's entitled to half in every situation.  For example, the girl I've been going out with for a while is going to grad school for social work.  She'll come out making 45k or so, while I'll be closer to 200k.  Say 6-8 years from now we get married and start having kids, she's making 60k or whatever, I'm at 300k.  She quits and raises the kids for 5-10 years, then we get divorced.  I would say she's entitled to what her salary would have been for those years she was raising the kids, not half of mine.

This is my point as well. Although I'm trying to be less subtle and diplomatic about it. Not saying they don't deserve anything, but marrying someone in a high income position shouldn't be an investment in itself.

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »

That's why housewives should earn a salary from their husbands.  If the woman doesn't save that money and gets screwed over in a divorce, that's her fault.

what a clown

While it was originally meant fascetiously, I do feel that if a husband expects his wife to stay at home with the babies, provided she is giving up a potentially lucrative career, he should provide her with some sort of compensation outide the amount necessary for upkeep, rearing the kids, etc.  

-OR-

This is what I would do: siphon off money from the joint account every month into another account of which the husband is not aware.  If he decides he wants a divorce...oops!  I have tons of money he doesn't know about.  

oh, i wasn't responding to the substance of your post.  i was remarking that Amy Winehouse is a clown.

and, i wasn't really talking about the situation in which one person has an inheritance to play with. 

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »
This is what I would do: siphon off money from the joint account every month into another account of which the husband is not aware.  If he decides he wants a divorce...oops!  I have tons of money he doesn't know about. 

That's a good way to end up with an OJ divorce :)

« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »

in all seriousness, I want to know why it seems that some women on here believe that they are entitled to the opportunity cost of choosing to have children.  why should you be paid foregone wages?  why should someone subsidize your decision?  make the choice.  have kids or have the career.  have kids and take time off from the career when they are little.  why are you requiring that you be paid?  generally someone pays you a salary, or you make profits from your own business, because you add value for your employer or for your business.  i have no idea how bringing your own little brats into an already heavily populated world is adding value in any sense of the term.  

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »

what a clown

-OR-

oh, i wasn't responding to the substance of your post.  i was remarking that Amy Winehouse is a clown.

and, i wasn't really talking about the situation in which one person has an inheritance to play with. 

All good, she is a total clown and a crackhead with serious problems but I love her and her beehive anyway!  

And boys, I'm an outlier on this whole thing because I plan on being the breadwinner of the family.  I also don't like alimony and most of the time think that women who get f-ed in the divorce deserve it for not being getting a prenup or being shrewd during the marriage.  But I'm 1) weird like that and 2) definitely not representative of females

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »
This is what I would do: siphon off money from the joint account every month into another account of which the husband is not aware.  If he decides he wants a divorce...oops!  I have tons of money he doesn't know about. 

That's a good way to end up with an OJ divorce :)

oh my god that's hilarious*

*but it probably shouldn't be

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »
And boys, I'm an outlier on this whole thing because I plan on being the breadwinner of the family.  I also don't like alimony and most of the time think that women who get f-ed in the divorce deserve it for not being getting a prenup or being shrewd during the marriage.  But I'm 1) weird like that and 2) definitely not representative of females

Well, I think both should be the breadwinner of a family. The entire concept of housewife is sort of antiquated. Maternity leave when the kid is an infant is a good thing, but being home and cuddling your baby till he/she starts school isn't the way it's supposed to be anyway. And put the bastard in a kindergarten instead of a nanny, social skills = win.