Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Vanderbilt Early Decision Binding?  (Read 3188 times)

dta

Is Vanderbilt Early Decision Binding?
« on: September 20, 2004, 10:21:22 PM »
I've seen some application that are definitely binding w/ respect to early decision. For example, Columbia and Michigan - both make you sign a contract saying you promise to go there if accepted.

Now, i'm trying to figure out the Vandy app. Is it binding? The following language seems ambiguous.

"Early Decision candidates must submit their applications by Nov 1. If the applicant is successful, the candidate agrees to withdraw applications pending at other law schools."

"Successful" - what does that mean? On top of that, there's no contract to sign for early decision in the Vandy app.

My take is this - the Vandy app tries to really encourage you to accept if given an offer through early decision, but they stop short of making early decision binding. Others agree/disagree w/ this assessment?

LongTallVal

Re: Is Vanderbilt Early Decision Binding?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 10:59:14 PM »
My take on the Vandy app is that, like other EDs, it is binding.  "If the applicant is successful" means if you are accepted, you agree to withdraw all other applications, in which case you must agree to attend Vandy.

Early Action would be non binding, in which case you would be notified of acceptance without having to rescind other applications.

cjo6881

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 09:00:55 AM »
This is clearly a binding early decision agreement.

dta

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 09:27:28 AM »
there's no contract in the Vandy app. hmmmmm ....

In the Michigan and Columbia apps there were contracts you had to sign regarding early decision.

cjo6881

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 09:29:16 AM »
Most likely, there is something in the instructions that states the contract is formed by checking the box and submitting the application.

LongTallVal

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 09:49:52 AM »
I'd say to be on the safe side, treat it as if it is a contract.  That way you won't be screwed if you do get accepted ED at Vandy and subsequently accepted/matriculate at other schools because your app was still in the cycle.

dta

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 10:05:02 AM »
I'd say to be on the safe side, treat it as if it is a contract.  That way you won't be screwed if you do get accepted ED at Vandy and subsequently accepted/matriculate at other schools because your app was still in the cycle.

yeah, i'm going to treat it as binding. I just wish their application spelled it out and made it crystal clear the way Columbia and Michigan do. Both Columbia and Michigan apps specifically had language stating "Do NOT select early decision if financial aid is an issue for you or if you are not sure you want to attend the university".

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 10:34:05 AM »
It does spell it out.  It says if the app is successful (you get accepted) you AGREE TO WITHDRAW APPLICATIONS PENDING FROM OTHER SCHOOLS.

When you check this option, and sign (verify) your application, you are signing the agreement.

dta

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »
To me, the mere word "successful" doesn't completely spell that out. "Successful", in this context, could be interpreted to mean that an offer was made and accepted. Also, "Successful" may be interpreted to mean an offer of acceptance along with a certain level of financial support.

Clearly, Columbia and Michigan spelled it out much more clearly. They did not use phrases like "if your app is 'successful'". Instead, they simply state that if an offer of admission is made to the applicant, the applicant is bound to matriculate at the law school and withdraw all other applications. No ambiguous use of the term "successful application".

LongTallVal

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 11:51:13 AM »
Why don't you make a phonecall to find out how Vandy defines "successful" in their ED app?