Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Debunking the "Even at national schools only the top 20% get firms" myth  (Read 14441 times)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

And then you get your panties all in a wad because someone has the nerve to suggest that "not all students at USC...can get high paying jobs."  That's essentially a truism, and you think you've somehow disputed it with your "data"?  You're a tool.

Bingo.  Particularly the bolded.

(Sidenote to Hercule: 100k job is nothing to be scoffed at, but isn't BIGLAW market)

HerculePoirot

• Sr. Citizen
  • One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
(Sidenote to Hercule: 100k job is nothing to be scoffed at, but isn't BIGLAW market)

Point taken, but the majority of those who went into private practice had a 135K median starting salary.  100k was only like 11% who went into private practice. 

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Point taken, but the majority of those who went into private practice had a 135K median starting salary.  100k was only like 11% who went into private practice. 

Yea, I was jut pointing out that Vapid had mentioned market rate, not simply "well-paying"

Obviously you'll have great prospects out of USC, but I think the point is that you don't get handed a BIGLAW job like it's your birthright.  You still have to work for it, and there will be people who don't get the jobs.

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Tag for hilarity and because Jesus is now in the thread.  That should rack me up some good karma...  crap, did I call it karma?  Eh, guess it's still hell for me. :P
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Wiimote is pretty much correct about USC.  According to career stats the school sent me, the employment breakdown is something like this:
 With 96% of class reporting
76% Private Practice: avg salary 135,000, lowest being 100K
10% business: avg salary 80K,
10% public: 50K (yeah this one's not so hot)
2-3%: academia

I don't remember it exactly, but it's probably safe to say that if your in the top 75-80%, you can get a 100K job.  But of course SOME people are not going to get a high paying job right out of school.  This could be because they did poorly, have terrible interviewing/social schools, or simply CHOSE to go into a less profitable area.  That stats also did not include people who accepted clerkships but were going into private practice afterwards. 

It's safe to assume most of the people going into government could have gotten a six figure private practice salary, if they wanted one. Some people just want to do PI, and some of the government jobs are prestigious despite their low salaries.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is) scoff at a six figure salary. There are tier 2 students out there who would kill for a six figure salary.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is) scoff at a six figure salary. There are tier 2 students out there who would kill for a six figure salary.

Sigh...

I've about given up on this one.  Your reading comprehension and analytical skills are clearly lacking.

Perhaps you should work on those instead of talking about your pithy career options?  Plenty of people from T2 schools manage to find good employment, have you considered that perhaps you haven't by some fault of your own?

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BU stats puhleeze

Very impressive. The employed @ graduation number is T14ish. The salary numbers are good too, although only 41% reported. Hopefully they represent the entire class, and not just those up top.

BU
------------------
2005 Graduates
Total graduates: 287
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 94.0%
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $110,000 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $125,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 41%
Median in public service: $44,302

HerculePoirot

• Sr. Citizen
  • One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
Some people just want to do PI, and some of the government jobs are prestigious despite their low salaries.

This is a good point I forgot to mention.  working in a DA's office can lead to good things in the future

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
tag2laff@wiitard
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .