Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Folks and Religion  (Read 9621 times)

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
Re: Black Folks and Religion
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
Religion is one of the biggest reasons black people dont have shyt in this country now. We can always rationalize ourselves out of whatever we should have or dismiss it to higher powers. "Baby that is just da devil!"

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
If shouting and speaking in tongues helps you to be a better person, then more power to you. But when the emotion is used to escape logic and science and used to manipulate people, I take issue.

can be the worst religion....

everything exists in manipulation of another.  i must admit money grubbing preachers have a special place, I surmise this is due to their proffesed intent contrasted with the lexus tint; and, the shape of the people often seeking their help.  seems particularly bad.

I don't think so. Science and logic can be observed. Religious doctorine requires belief.

Don't believe everything they tell you.  There's a lot of fiction in science.

True. There is a lot of fiction in science, but it still has to be proven. There is no denying the world is round or 2 + 2=4.

Yeah, but there are many things currently accepted as scientific "fact" that have yet to be objectively proven. 

And don't those parameters encompass all religious doctorine?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
wait...what?  Black ppl are not held back by religion.  Black ppl are held up by other black ppl in a system that is not our own.  Nothing to do w/ religion. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
If shouting and speaking in tongues helps you to be a better person, then more power to you. But when the emotion is used to escape logic and science and used to manipulate people, I take issue.

can be the worst religion....

everything exists in manipulation of another.  i must admit money grubbing preachers have a special place, I surmise this is due to their proffesed intent contrasted with the lexus tint; and, the shape of the people often seeking their help.  seems particularly bad.

I don't think so. Science and logic can be observed. Religious doctorine requires belief.

Don't believe everything they tell you.  There's a lot of fiction in science.

True. There is a lot of fiction in science, but it still has to be proven. There is no denying the world is round or 2 + 2=4.

Yeah, but there are many things currently accepted as scientific "fact" that have yet to be objectively proven. 

And don't those parameters encompass all religious doctorine?

Of course they do - but no one's trying to say religion is provable, therefore it's superior, which is what you were trying to do with your science point.

That isn't what I'm trying to do. I believe every word in the bible, but in context. I believe science doctorine, but with objective proof.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2007, 03:51:38 PM »
Wait - every word?

in context.

Which Bible?  And define "context" - I mean, the Bible open contradicts itself on matters of fact,even.

All versions including the supposed "lost" books.

Context means a lot: To whom was the writer talking to?;  What was the original purpose for the text?; What was the intended outcome; and etc.

but context also means conceeding that many men wrote the Bible from their own interpretations of what GOD was saying. I mean did God intend for women to be quiet in the church as Paul suggests. If so, why did Jesus equate Mary Madgalene to the other apostles. In that instance, I "believe" that Paul believed what he heard.

Instead on "every," I should have clarified "believe."

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »
Wait - every word?

in context.

Which Bible?  And define "context" - I mean, the Bible openly contradicts itself on matters of fact,even.

All versions including the supposed "lost" books.

Context means a lot: To whom was the writer talking to?;  What was the original purpose for the text?; What was the intended outcome; and etc.

but context also means conceeding that many men wrote the Bible from their own interpretations of what GOD was saying. I mean did God intend for women to be quiet in the church as Paul suggests. If so, why did Jesus equate Mary Madgalene to the other apostles. In that instance, I "believe" that Paul believed what he heard.

So you redefine context to suit your purposes, as opposed to simply saying that you don't believe every word of the Bible?  Why?  What's wrong with being a Christian who doesn't believe every word of the Bible?

How has context been redefined? I still feel convictions on many of my own actions, so I'm not trying to suit my purposes.

But there is a big difference in saying "Paul was wrong" and saying "That was Paul's interpretation." I don't have to invalidate someone else's belief to justify my own.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
Ok, Jesus genealogy is listed twice in the Bible, and they're different.  You believe both of them?

I believe there is an explaination for there being two. And there are many theories on why there are two.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
Why can't it just be that one might (gasp!) be wrong?  Religion isn't going to tumble into the sea.

why can't they both be right depending on who u ask?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »
Why can't it just be that one might (gasp!) be wrong?  Religion isn't going to tumble into the sea.

and this is why i don't mess too hard with the Bible
Columbia 3L