Law School Discussion

Black Folks and Religion

A.

• View Profile
Re: Black Folks and Religion
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »
So explain this "speaking in tongues."  Do people translate?  Are they real tongues?  Every time I've seen it, it's like "Haka maseeyah cum see cum say.  Haka maseeyah holla holla holla cum say."  I can close my eyes right now and unthinkingly say stuff that has no meaning.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 09:34:44 AM »
they need less religion, more Jesus.

who is they?

your people. The descendants of Ham.

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
LMAO! please stop!!!!  :D you're wildin right about now.

So explain this "speaking in tongues."  Do people translate?  Are they real tongues?  Every time I've seen it, it's like "Haka maseeyah cum see cum say.  Haka maseeyah holla holla holla cum say."  I can close my eyes right now and unthinkingly say stuff that has no meaning.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 09:44:42 AM »

The original speaking in tongues was the Apostles at Pentacost speaking in different tongues and people from all over the world could hear them in their own language. I don't believe in the modern speaking in tongues. Here's a website that speaks on it

http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net/index.html

Anyway as I have gotten older I do question alot of things but in the end I just chaulk it up to faith. Religion is not supposed to be a 100% logical thing and trying to look at it in that light is a losing game. I still attend church although not as much as I'd like to or should.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
Lol that's an interesting website...

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »
Yeah I agree that religion isn't logical.  I just wanted to know if they translate the tongues in your church.

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »
my friend told me that if they can't translate it then its not really "authentic."

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »
Yeah I agree that religion isn't logical.  I just wanted to know if they translate the tongues in your church.

That's happened before, actually, but rarely. And I wouldn't know if they were making up the translation.

True.  Ah well.  Again, whatever floats your boat!

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
WoW, you guys are getting pretty deep.

IMO Christians are looked down upon by liberals because of the bad apples out there.  Almost the same Muslims are stereotyped to be terrorist.  It's simple; people tend to look down on what they do not understand.  Honestly, many Christians don't understand what they believe because they hold on to traditions rather than seeking to understand the Bible in the proper context

Many black people are Christians because they were forced to be during slavery.  It was the only book we could read and it was used as a way to keep us in submission.  However, what was meant for bad turned around for good. Because once we could read the whole book in context and not just the parts they wanted us to see, it took a whole new meaning.  This is true with many religious texts.  They are all about love and service to one another.  So unless we understand he practice service through love, none of us can speak on religion because we do not truly have a correct understanding of what it is.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

The original speaking in tongues was the Apostles at Pentacost speaking in different tongues and people from all over the world could hear them in their own language. I don't believe in the modern speaking in tongues. Here's a website that speaks on it

http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net/index.html

Anyway as I have gotten older I do question alot of things but in the end I just chaulk it up to faith. Religion is not supposed to be a 100% logical thing and trying to look at it in that light is a losing game. I still attend church although not as much as I'd like to or should.

i like the bolded and i agree...i'm still in the middle though.  i don't "do" religion, i don't really mess with the bible...but i believe in God.  i'm weird