Law School Discussion

Black Folks and Religion

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Black Folks and Religion
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »
wait.... dedicated times for the theatrics?? are u serious? um yeah that's a bit much...

Yep, they cue up the happy music and they're off! :D

I also HATE that. I've only seen it in Baptist churches.

The most vivid example that always sticks out in my mind was at (I think) a COGIC church that I went to once, since it was the "it" church for lots of my friends in ugrad.

What church was that?

TGCLC

Never been.  I think the church I attended most jr and sr year was the Catholic church on campus (cause I'm lazy). 

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »
wait.... dedicated times for the theatrics?? are u serious? um yeah that's a bit much...

The most vivid example that always sticks out in my mind was at (I think) a COGIC church that I went to once, since it was the "it" church for lots of my friends in ugrad.

What church was that?

TGCLC

Never been.  I think the church I attended most jr and sr year was the Catholic church on campus (cause I'm lazy). 

TGCLC is interesting, to say the least.  But whatever floats your boat!  I usually went to Ebenezer; I really liked their pastor.  Too bad he retired.  They would also end every service with "Total Praise," one of my favorite gospel songs.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 08:59:14 AM »

What church was that?

TGCLC

TGCLC is interesting, to say the least.  But whatever floats your boat!  I usually went to Ebenezer; I really liked their pastor.  Too bad he retired.  They would also end every service with "Total Praise," one of my favorite gospel songs.

My choir (and almost every other gospel choir in North America!) sings it.  Since I didn't have a car, I was limited to on campus or wherever I could get a ride to.  And since my friends often overslept...

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:22 AM »
they need less religion, more Jesus.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:28 AM »
Total Praise = perhaps the best gospel song EVER.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »
Psalms 21 by that Majors dude is good.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
I think that's fine and expected, but I don't know if the motive is always or usually entertainment. It could be psychological; it could be the Holy Spirit; it could be a lot of things. They may entertain you, but doesn't mean they are trying to (even when they just shout during the fast songs.) I just don't believe that people with reserved personalities would do these things to put on a show for their church members.

Wanting to entertain was more w/r/t the preachers.  As for the audience, some do want to entertain (esp. the loud ones), but I think that many really do believe in what they're doing and that it's making them closer to God.  As a neutral observer, however, I notice the timing and such and am led to question their actions.

Sometimes people speak in tongues or prophesy

How often do the prophecies come true?

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
they need less religion, more Jesus.

who is they?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »
My church is sufficiently Spirit-led and open given its Pentecostal background (though it is non-denominational); however, if you someone gets to whooping and hollering while the Pastor is preaching our Pastor will not hesitate the politely hush them.  Speaking in tongues, if for real, can break the sermon.  Anything else is usually a no-no.

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »
it'd be cool to check out jeremiah wright. he seems like a positive black person--particularly with the afro-centric approach and all. is his church really big? i would feel weird walking into a random church like that if its small and everyone knows everyone.

this is true..we definitely develop our own understandings/paths once we leave home.. and most of the time it's different from what we've watched our families practice...while in theory i'd say that the general principles are similar...there are some views that i have that my parents would probably be appauled at... i know that u aren't a christian..but i think that u should check out tucc (jeremiah wright)..google it.. and if u have the time (or a car) make it out there one sunday morning..i  appreciated and valued his teachings since high school..esp since he ties in african/ and african american history in his Biblical teachings...it's one thing that i really miss about chicago.. it comes on tvone on sundays now though..

well i grew up in a pretty religious household. and i havve done things that my parents think inappropriate. i think alot of how i began to interpret things led to a different understanding than what they had. that being said, my personal philosophy is that every person has to make faith their own once they leave home and that is bound to lead to different interpretations. also, i believe that the basis of my faith is cultivating a personal relationship with the most high--so i don't really participate in that much in terms of religious activities. i'm not Christian--but if I was I would be the one that rarely, if ever, shows up for church, but comes to volunteer for holidays/special events. thank goodness i'm not Christian b/c i would probably be talked about. lol! i'm hoping to one day find a community that makes me feel comfortable. i haven't had that since college.