Law School Discussion

Black Folks and Religion

Re: Black Folks and Religion
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2007, 10:28:26 PM »
I think it's difficult to separate "religion" from the humans and organizations that influence its doctrine and precepts.  That's why I generally go with the gist and attend churches that have less whooping and hollering and more in-depth examination of the Bible.  That said, whooping and hollering can be quite amusing, as long as you take it for the entertainment that it is.

So my beliefs have changed, but I still think that religion is important for the black community, as it is for all oppressed communities.  And bright-line rules also serve a purpose for those who won't take the time or lack the mental ability (and I mean that nicely) to think through their actions.

WEB Dubois described his experience at a Southern Pentacostal church as "horrifying".  lol.  I cant say he was too far off.  Too many people in one place riled up and not thinking clearly is scary for me too. 

That said, I cant stand Eddie Long and Kreflo Dollar - riling everyone up to dig in their pockets.  I do think there is a place for collective spirituality, and it's energy.  It's a very powerful medium and I think it is real (not the Bible but the energy.  you could get people to worship anything and get this energy).  I just think its being misused and is having deleterious effects. 

I couldn't agree more. There is an almost comical level of misogyny in the black church -- a male Passa in all his pimped out glory surrounded by a gaggle of appropriately dressed if not inappropriately available black women who wait for him to guide them to the promised land -- by which I cannot abide.

Not to mention that I reflexively dismiss anyone who feels the need to loud talk/fast talk/pimp talk me as being unworthy of my consideration. I like a nice spiritual approach that allows for one's ability to THINK. I can't imagine black Jesus would want us wailing and shouting but not thinking.

In my old age I've become more of a religious scientist. I have a great deal of faith...in God, just no so much in man.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2007, 06:20:32 AM »
He's the prayer cloth guy, right?  Call in, give some money, and he'd send you a "blessed" handkerchief. 

Yes, handkerchief, shower cap...sorry I forgot to post the link to his website...www.revike.org

I can't believe none of you picked up on this...His television programs, for instance, used to include the "Blessing of the Cadillacs," where prosperous congregants were invited to drive their luxury cars past the church's doors for his laying on of hands.) Lawd touch my caddy...make the white walls shine...lawd touch my caddy make this baby stop on a dime.  :D :D :D :D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
:D

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2007, 04:18:28 PM »
He's the prayer cloth guy, right?  Call in, give some money, and he'd send you a "blessed" handkerchief. 

Yes, handkerchief, shower cap...sorry I forgot to post the link to his website...www.revike.org

I can't believe none of you picked up on this...His television programs, for instance, used to include the "Blessing of the Cadillacs," where prosperous congregants were invited to drive their luxury cars past the church's doors for his laying on of hands.)

:o   If you're not reading your Word and in relationship with God for yourself, I suppose you just might fall for anything!