Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So i completely f*cked up on my LSAT... what's the best school i can get into?  (Read 2172 times)

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
with a 159 and a 3.6 gpa?

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
Well it depends on what Best means.  If youre going by US News rankings you probably have the numbers to get into Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin. All are top 40 schools.  Wisconsin is actually a pretty attractive school.  Madison is very nice and the school as a reasonable pull in Chicago.  My friend will be a 2L there in the fall.

Where are you from and where do you want to practice?
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Here's the LSAC calculator.  Use it. 

http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=

That said it looks like Iowa and Wisconsin are about the "best" you can get into... and even those schools are by no means a "lock."  From what I gather on this board, you want at least a 50% chance of getting in.  Anything less than that and you shouldn't hold your breath although you won't get in if you don't apply.  If its a 25% chance or less you'd probably just as soon not apply.
_______
.|E|R|S.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Not true.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Well it depends on what Best means.  If youre going by US News rankings you probably have the numbers to get into Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin. All are top 40 schools.  Wisconsin is actually a pretty attractive school.  Madison is very nice and the school as a reasonable pull in Chicago.  My friend will be a 2L there in the fall.

Where are you from and where do you want to practice?

All of those schools have deflated numbers due to instate rules.  In reality the OP should apply to all 20-80 ranked schools he would attend and see what happens.

Pops

• View Profile
All of those schools have deflated numbers due to instate rules.  In reality the OP should apply to all 20-80 ranked schools he would attend and see what happens.

100% correct (that was basically where I scored as well and got dinged b/c Im out of state).  Your best chance would be at the bottom of the first tier/top of the second as well as your state school if they have an instate rule.  My suggestion, now that schools just take the higher score (rather than an average), would be to take the October LSAT and see what happens.  If nothing more, with that score you are far from screwed and can still get into a pretty good school (unless you want NYC, LA or DC as those schools have higher than average lsat scores), but you wont have a chance at the higher ranked schools. 

thedropper

• View Profile
I agree with the last post -- why not just retake the LSAT in september or october?  If you're applying for fall 2008, then either one of those test dates would still leave with plenty of time to apply.  If you really do feel like you screwed up, then your score wasn't indicative of your ability and it's worth giving it another try. 

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Well I figured the earlier I apply the better chance of getting in, so if I take the October LSAT and didn't do better, it would hurt my chances even more. Also I won't have nearly the amount of time I had to study for the June LSAT when school is going on. And last, I wouldn't have much to pracice with because I already took all the recent tests to practice for the June LSAT.

CCH

• View Profile
Well I figured the earlier I apply the better chance of getting in, so if I take the October LSAT and didn't do better, it would hurt my chances even more. Also I won't have nearly the amount of time I had to study for the June LSAT when school is going on. And last, I wouldn't have much to pracice with because I already took all the recent tests to practice for the June LSAT.

What were your scores on the practice tests?

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
with a 159 and a 3.6 gpa?

My roommate had about a 157 and a 3.6 GPA and got into Tulane, which, while not ranked as high as Iowa, for instance, places pretty well nationally.
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA