obamacon

• View Profile
Libby's sentence commuted
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »
Bush Commutes Libby Prison Sentence
 Email this Story

Jul 2, 6:10 PM (ET)

By MATT APUZZO

(AP) Former White House aide I. Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, leaves federal court in Washington, Tuesday,...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush commuted the sentence of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby on Monday, sparing him from a 2 1/2-year prison term that Bush said was excessive. Bush's move came hours after a federal appeals panel ruled Libby could not delay his prison term in the CIA leak case.

That meant Libby was likely to have to report to prison soon and put new pressure on the president, who had been sidestepping calls by Libby's allies to pardon the former chief of staff to Vice President male private part Cheney.

"I respect the jury's verdict," Bush said in a statement. "But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby's sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison."

Bush left intact a $250,000 fine and two years probation for Libby, and Bush said his action still "leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby."

Libby was convicted in March of lying to authorities and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative's identity. He was the highest-ranking White House official ordered to prison since the Iran-Contra affair.

Bush said of Cheney's former aide: "The reputation he gained through his years of public service and professional work in the legal community is forever damaged. His wife and young children have also suffered immensely. He will remain on probation. The significant fines imposed by the judge will remain in effect. The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant, and private citizen will be long-lasting."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070702/D8Q4NGAO0.html

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Libby's sentence commuted
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »
This is the right decision.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:49:15 PM »

I hope you're joking. This is so f-ing ridiculous. Oh, to be a rich, white man. It's gonna be difficult for me to uphold the stringent laws and punishments of this land.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »

I hope you're joking. This is so f-ing ridiculous. Oh, to be a rich, white man. It's gonna be difficult for me to uphold the stringent laws and punishments of this land.

I'm not joking. Libby was the designated fall guy and the crime he was convicted for did not call for such a harsh sentence. They should have gone after Rove.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »

A-effin-men!!!

Because God knows the judicial system should infalliable for white men. Forget the many working poor or people of color who live with excessive sentences, overzealous prosecutors, and an unfair judicial system EVERY DAY. When POTUS decides that a young boy in Rome, GA probably shouldn't spend ten years in jail for a consensual blow job from a peer he can talk to me about "excessive".

No fewer than three judges thought Libby's sentence was fair. But, hey, what do they know. They were only appointed by Bush.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »

I'm not joking. Libby was the designated fall guy and the crime he was convicted for did not call for such a harsh sentence. They should have gone after Rove.

They could have and would have gone after Rove if LIBBY hadn't lied to investigators - which is what he was charged for.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »

correct. it underscores the absolute lack of integrity in this administration, and demonstrates to the whole country why it should never allow republicans to steal presidential elections again.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:11:20 PM »

They could have and would have gone after Rove if LIBBY hadn't lied to investigators - which is what he was charged for.

They could have still gone after Armitage and Rove, but Fitzgerald chose not to.

It's not as if Libby is getting off scot-free. He still has to pay the $250,000 fine, serve two years probation, and possibly be disbarred. He's still a convicted felon. I think that the sentence was disproportionate to the crime.

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »

correct. it underscores the absolute lack of integrity in this administration, and demonstrates to the whole country why it should never allow republicans to steal presidential elections again.

Under the standards that were used at the time, Bush would have won had the counting continued. For Gore to win a standard that no one asked for would have to have been applied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election%2C_2000_Florida_results#The_Florida_Ballot_Project_recounts

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
Libby definitely was the fall guy for Cheney (and probably Bush too) but he still perjured himself and should do the time. Somebody needs to do the friggin time and it sure as hell aint gonna be Cheney of Bush.