Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from PT programs.  (Read 402 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transferring from PT programs.
« on: July 02, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
I have two of questions about potential PT transfers:

1) Is it possible to transfer from a PT program to a school with another PT program? For example, if I live and work in DC, and go to GW PT, can I then transfer into GULC law the next year, given good grades?

2) Is it possible to transfer from a PT program into an FT program, for example, if I am going to Fordham PT, can I transfer to Columbia? Under what circumstances can this kind of transfer take place?

Thanks for all responses!

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: Transferring from PT programs.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:40:39 PM »
I have two of questions about potential PT transfers:

1) Is it possible to transfer from a PT program to a school with another PT program? For example, if I live and work in DC, and go to GW PT, can I then transfer into GULC law the next year, given good grades?

In theory, yes.

2) Is it possible to transfer from a PT program into an FT program, for example, if I am going to Fordham PT, can I transfer to Columbia? Under what circumstances can this kind of transfer take place?

Thanks for all responses!

In theory, yes.

Both are rare. Don't count on it. One of the many reasons I decided that GW PT wasn't in my future.
VIP.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from PT programs.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:28 PM »
I'd think that question 1 would actually be quite facilitated. I mean think about it -- transferring only works when someone gives up a seat. A ton of PTers are just in it to get their foot in the door and switch to the FT side ASAP. It seems to me the ability to transfer PT->PT -- vs. PT->FT(different school) or FT->FT -- would be MUCH MUCH easier.

That said, my gut feeling may not equal reality. It regrettably has happened on more than one occasion. The curriculums might also be too different. FT 1L here pretty much always equals FT 1L there, right? Not so with PT 1L.