Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ultimate setups guide  (Read 425 times)

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
Ultimate setups guide
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:03:38 PM »
Is it really worth buying this book if you already have the LG bible?

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate setups guide
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

I doubt it. Get through the bible first and then see how you're scoring. If you find you're getting perfect or almost perfect then I wouldn't bother. If there's still room for improvement, you may find it useful.

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »

I doubt it. Get through the bible first and then see how you're scoring. If you find you're getting perfect or almost perfect then I wouldn't bother. If there's still room for improvement, you may find it useful.

The issues that I have are primarly related to time, and taking contrapositives/ related inferences into account.

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »

The issues that I have are primarly related to time, and taking contrapositives/ related inferences into account.

Not sure what level you're starting from, but here's what I found helpful:

-Write out any rules you can AND their contrapositives (use symbols which are easiest for you to understand of course)
-Add as many rules to your sketch as you can - including entities that cannot go in a certain group or slot
-Make as many deductions as you can BEFORE starting the question (usually, there are certain exceptions to this rule)
-Use prior answers (acceptabilty questions can be very useful for eliminating answers in subsequent question) -- this is risky, but if you are confident the answer is right, it can save you a lot of time

Timing issues can be solved with lots of practice. In the long run, spending extra time making sure your set up, rules and deductions are correct can save you lots of time with the questions (and help you avoid silly mistakes). Once you've done MANY MANY sections, I don't think timing will be an issue. I must have spent 50+ hours learning logic games. I'd redo ones I had trouble with until I got them perfect. I went from getting 30% right to 95-100% right. It takes lots of practice but they can become your easiest section. Hope this helps. MSG me if you have any questions.

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:34:42 PM »

Not sure what level you're starting from, but here's what I found helpful:

-Write out any rules you can AND their contrapositives (use symbols which are easiest for you to understand of course)
-Add as many rules to your sketch as you can - including entities that cannot go in a certain group or slot
-Make as many deductions as you can BEFORE starting the question (usually, there are certain exceptions to this rule)
-Use prior answers (acceptabilty questions can be very useful for eliminating answers in subsequent question) -- this is risky, but if you are confident the answer is right, it can save you a lot of time

Timing issues can be solved with lots of practice. In the long run, spending extra time making sure your set up, rules and deductions are correct can save you lots of time with the questions (and help you avoid silly mistakes). Once you've done MANY MANY sections, I don't think timing will be an issue. I must have spent 50+ hours learning logic games. I'd redo ones I had trouble with until I got them perfect. I went from getting 30% right to 95-100% right. It takes lots of practice but they can become your easiest section. Hope this helps. MSG me if you have any questions.

Last night I redid the logic games section of the June LSAT and I missed 5 questions, and that's include a couple silly mistakes that weren't related to my understanding of logic games.  For the most part, I'm not bad at logic games, it's just a timing thing.  There are a few rare types of abstract logic games that throw me off, but for the most part I'm not bad.  I want to make DAMN sure that come September, I'm not missing more than about 2  or 3 per section.  I've already accepted that this may be my weakest link, but even still I want to do quite well on them.