Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ohio Law Schools  (Read 1341 times)

omnipotens

• View Profile
Ohio Law Schools
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:17:08 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts about the law schools in Ohio.  Specifically U. of Akron, U. of Dayton, Capital, and Ohio Northern?

I'm going to apply to all of them,  I want to practice in Ohio and I'm just interested in hearing what people have to say about them.

I see myself being a prosecutor one day and I know Akron has some great trial programs, however I've also spent sometime at Ohio Northern and I really like the atmosphere there.  I've never been to Captial or Dayton.

Any thoughts would be great!

thenodoubter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Ohio Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
Have you looked at Toledo?

If you want to stay in Ohio they seem to be a really great option. Plus if you are worried about scores they have the PT-Transitional program.

Good Luck!
New Cycle!

omnipotens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
I have looked at Toledo...and while it is still an option...i'm just not really fond of the Toledo area.

Thanks for the reply!

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
I think it is something like: OSU>CWRU>Toledo>CM>Akron>Capital>Dayton>Northern.

But im not that sure on the lower four. Where are you looking to stay, Akron places well in Akron-Canton area, CM places very well in cleveland, etc.

Your numbers? Plans post grad? Where do you want to be if not Toledo?

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:01:40 PM »
i'll be at dayton, pm if you have any questions

Rabble Rabble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »
UDayton has a very nice appearance, but it has a reputation around the state as 3rd tier. If you have the numbers for UC or OSU, go for those. Case Western is a good option too, but very overpriced relative to those two public schools.
Whatev

guizot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
There are a lot of law schools in Ohio, but none of them are top-ranked.  Ohio State is probably the best, with Cincinnati and Case Reserve close behind.  The edge between the latter two goes to Cincinnati for much lower tuition.
In the next category are Toledo and Cleveland-Marshall.  Neither is that hard to get in to, but they both have supportive atmospheres and quality self-perceptions.
Akron, Capitol, Dayton, and Ohio Northern are the Tier 4 schools of Ohio.  I don't know anything about Dayton, but I know graduates of Capital, Northern, and Akron.  Of the three, I would take Ohio Northern if they gave me a lot of money.  Otherwise, I would take the public tuition at Akron.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
quality self-perceptions.

I would love to know what this means...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

guizot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
It means that they lack the insecurity that characterizes Capital, Akron, ONU, and probably Dayton.  Toledo and C-M, as far as I know, emphasize collegiality over competition, because they know their B students will have no trouble getting jobs in the local market.  It never hurts to look at where your state's supreme court justices went to law school.

dyonisis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 11:47:43 PM »

I got into Akron, Toledo, and Dayton.  Toledo wasn't showing love in terms of $$$.  Dayton offered me money but it's way too expensive for the reputation $30,000+ a year.  Akron gave me a very nice scholarship but in order to keep it I would have to stay in the top 10% of my class.  (Akron's the only school I know of to do this)  Since you're dead set on practicing in the Buckeye state I would go to the school that is the cheapest.  Also check out some schools in Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky I'm sure a lot of Ohio firms hire from there. ;D