Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asking professors who have no clue who you are  (Read 1085 times)

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Asking professors who have no clue who you are
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:08:55 AM »
Given that one has already violated all the suggestions for getting Letters of Recommendation, how does he recover? I want to apply this fall, which is racing up fast, and I haven't even made the first move. I graduated from college without speaking to a single professor, and there are none who would even know who I am (a sad result of never going to class except for tests). Would it be considered reasonable etiquette to ask a stranger (just based on the grade I got, I guess)? My major doesn't have any essays or documentary evidence of the quality of my work. Some say to send in a PS and resume, but I haven't written the first, and the second would be completely empty. Can I ask them now, during the summer, or is this a sacrosanct time during which they expect to be able to avoid students? Some caution against asking by e-mail, but as I am no longer at the school, I have little choice, it seems. I am not expecting a rave, so should I make it clear to them that I will take anything that isn't positively insulting, just to fulfill the requirement, or is it better to try to bluff?

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Asking professors who have no clue who you are
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:58:46 PM »
E-mailing a professor is never a good idea. I suggest finishing up your PS, even writing a rough draft is enough as long a sit conveys a message of who you are, then go to professors in whose classes you got good grades and ask them to write on  for you. I also suggest making a short list of things that should be included in a LoR, such a list can be found in Anna Ivey's book. 

And you should ask them as soon as possible, go to your school and see which professors are teaching summer sessions and see if one of them is willing to write you a letter.

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »
I don't agree that it's never a good idea to email professors.  I emailed all three of mine when we weren't in the same cities or on the same campuses.  If the distance is precluding you from physically going, go ahead and email or call.  And yes, do it in the summer.  You don't want to be scrambling for back-ups in the fall.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:57:15 PM »
Such a predicament.  I am going to have problems w/ LORs too... I mean there are profs who will recognize and like me but they dont have a lot of experience with me.  Eh.
_______
.|E|R|S.

1rakayla

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
So it is okay to email professors? Im kind of concerned that they will not remember me by name, but I know they will remember my face if they saw it. I just don't have the time off to make that 5 hour drive to campus.