Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.6/159  (Read 3529 times)

Nugget

• View Profile
3.6/159
« on: September 20, 2004, 05:25:30 PM »
Do I have any chance in hell at a T1 like Iowa, Wisc., UGA, GMU, etc.?

ruskiegirl

Re: 3.6/159
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »
I think that you have a shot at UGA. I don't know anything about Iowa. I think GMU likes really high GPA's, but it's worth a shot.  I have a friend that got in with a 158/3.8

Nugget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 12:29:56 AM »
I think that you have a shot at UGA. I don't know anything about Iowa. I think GMU likes really high GPA's, but it's worth a shot.  I have a friend that got in with a 158/3.8

Thanks.  I applied part-time to GMU, will that help?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:32:36 AM »
As far as I know, yes.  However, you have to have a good reason for applying to the part-time program.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Thanks. I applied part-time to GMU, will that help?

Nugget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 12:45:38 AM »
As far as I know, yes.  However, you have to have a good reason for applying to the part-time program.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Thanks. I applied part-time to GMU, will that help?

Really?  On the application, there's a box for FT, one for PT, and one for FT or PT, and it doesn't ask for a reason...do you think I screwed myself by checking the box for FT or PT?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 12:49:28 AM »
Well, in that case, I doubt you hurt your chances.  I'm basing my assumption on how Georgetown utilizes their part-time program.  If GMU didn't ask for reasoning behind applying to part-time, then I'm sure your reasons won't be a factor.

Thanks and Gig 'EM,
Jason

Nugget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 04:25:12 PM »
Well, in that case, I doubt you hurt your chances.  I'm basing my assumption on how Georgetown utilizes their part-time program.  If GMU didn't ask for reasoning behind applying to part-time, then I'm sure your reasons won't be a factor.

Thanks and Gig 'EM,
Jason

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about Gtown PT...thanks for the info :)

gobears

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 05:04:56 PM »
This is a huge jump, but why not try for Boalt?  I mean, if you have any special background, are an URM, have a compelling story to tell, etc.  From what I understand, Boalt really tends to be one of those schools that actually looks beyond just the numbers and admits people who they believe will contribute qualitatively to their law school, even if they don't necessarily have the high GPA and LSAT scores.  They're taking a hit for this in the rankings, but in a way it's also pretty courageous.  There's debate and controversy over whether or not this will be a good thing for them in the long run, but right now I think it may actually benefit those with exceptionally unique backgrounds.

Nugget

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 08:03:21 PM »
Well, every school I've applied to has been within reach (if only BARELY), so I guess I should apply to one not-gonna-happen school :)

gobears

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 01:14:13 AM »
Well, every school I've applied to has been within reach (if only BARELY), so I guess I should apply to one not-gonna-happen school :)

Hey you could be pleasantly surprised! :)  Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember someone here (RuskieGirl?) with similar stats as you and got into Boalt?