Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I got screwed by the scale and also need advice  (Read 1745 times)

patmycan

Re: So I got screwed by the scale and also need advice
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:34:37 PM »
Maybe your pre-test atmosphere isn't very test-like? You are obviously more relaxed during a practice test, so maybe try making the pre-test situation more test-like.

P.S. The scale isn't why you did so differently, the fact that you did not mark the correct responses is the reason  ;)

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »
This is my first post on these boards but I've been lurking around here for about a month and would really appreciate yout input on my situation. I scored a 163 on the damn June Test. This is 5 points lower than my first (and worst) prep test and I averaged about a 172 in the dozen or so prep tests I took. I have a 3.5 GPA and had my heart set on schools like Michigan, UCLA, and Northwestern. I know my GPA is on the low end for those schools but I was hoping a 170+ score would counteract that enough to keep me competetive and I thought I could pull it off since I was consistantly scoring 170+ on practice tests. I'm worried that even if I re-take the test in September and score 170+ they will see both scores and figure that 170+ is the fluke since the 163 matches my gpa (both are about 90%). As far as I can see I have two options: I can either just retake the test and pray I hit less dumb luck and pray the they will ignore the lower LSAT score or I can put off law school for now. If I give on applying this cycle, I could take my senior year to boost up my GPA (hopefully to a 3.6) and could possible get a year or two work of experience and then apply again in the future. With a 3.5 GPA and a 163 LSAT as a white student with only decent soft factors, I wont get anywhere near the top 20 range which I know I am capable of. Would you recommend retaking in September or do I throw in the towel for this cycle and try again in a few years?

P.S. To everyone else who feels like they have had all their plans thrown out the window by bad luck, I feel you pain.

Retake.

Also, the scale didn't screw you. The test isn't luck. You have to own your life - achievements, disappointments and all. I can't stand people who avoid taking responsibility.

Throughout all the practice tests I've taken, I personally haven't really noticed (except perhaps in the games sections...and that was only one SOME tests)  tests getting harder as the scale got more forgiving.  So what do you call that?  I'm a person who does close to the same on just about every test, regardless of its objective "difficulty"...my numbers don't fluctuate wildly, so when a ridiculous scale comes along like the one we saw yesterday, what do you call that?  I got a bad draw on that one man, and I'm pissed off.  I didn't really think this test was any harder than the December 2006 test and the difference between those 2 scales is night and day.

raphelb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 08:53:35 PM »
I'm in the same boat is Wunjin. I almost consistantly hit about the same raw score on the test, regardless of the test, and my score fluctuates accordingly based on the scale but usually only by a point or two. My raw score went down on this test and I need to figure out what caused that, but I'm still shocked by how much by actual score plummeted along with the drop in my raw score.

Regardless, I didn't make this topic to debate the effect of the scale or luck. I was only looking for advice on whether to retake now or wait a few years and try to boost the other areas of my application (such as GPA and work experience) It seems like almost everyone agrees I should retake. Would anyone else argue otherwise?
Michigan 1L

casimir

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »
i'm pretty much in the exact same position as you are. i have a 3.66 and on the june lsat scored a 163 despite hitting high 160s-low 170s on the most recent practice exams. one difference is that i already took the lsat once before and scored a 162. so this puts me in a frustrating situation in that it basically confirms i can do no better than low 160s.

i'm still thinking about whether to retake or go with it. on the june lsat, i misbubbled 5 questions (had i not misbubbled, the answers would have been correct bumping me up to 166). so at this point i know i can do better if i retake, but really, i doubt adcoms would see my THREE scores very favorably even if i manage a better score.

sorry, that was my unhelpful rant. but i'd advise you to retake, since you've only taken it once so far.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
I'm in the same boat is Wunjin. I almost consistantly hit about the same raw score on the test, regardless of the test, and my score fluctuates accordingly based on the scale but usually only by a point or two. My raw score went down on this test and I need to figure out what caused that, but I'm still shocked by how much by actual score plummeted along with the drop in my raw score.

Regardless, I didn't make this topic to debate the effect of the scale or luck. I was only looking for advice on whether to retake now or wait a few years and try to boost the other areas of my application (such as GPA and work experience) It seems like almost everyone agrees I should retake. Would anyone else argue otherwise?

Your question seems to focus on whether or not to take time off.  The fact you're asking this makes me feel like this is something you want to do regardless, and I would recommend time off for anyone who has any desire to do so.

It does seem like your score would likely iprove with a retake, though, so I would do that also either way.

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:26 AM »
I too didn't do nearly as well as I would have liked on the test, but I can only encourage you to take it again.  I work professionally in higher ed research and while schools will deny it, the USNWR rankings are what they really care about.  With the changes in the LSAC/ABA policies, they are only going to care about your highest score -- that's all that USNWR will ever see and that's all that what really matters most to the school.  You really have nothing to lose by taking it again, especially if you think you can do better.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
I too didn't do nearly as well as I would have liked on the test, but I can only encourage you to take it again.  I work professionally in higher ed research and while schools will deny it, the USNWR rankings are what they really care about.  With the changes in the LSAC/ABA policies, they are only going to care about your highest score -- that's all that USNWR will ever see and that's all that what really matters most to the school.  You really have nothing to lose by taking it again, especially if you think you can do better.

I agree...which is why I think even retaking and getting the same score, or even a point or 2 lower wouldn't really hurt people.  I think everyone should retake, except maybe 174+ people. 

MP - well said.  ;)

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
It's hard to believe someone averaging 172 got a 163.  I would guess you're either taking old tests, or you're in denial.

Watch it, Bosco.  I was averaging 175 and I scored a 161.  (I knew I should've canceled, but my judgement at the time was not the best). 

Just retake it.  I had two LSAT scores on my application (just 8 weeks apart, with an 11 point difference between the two) and it didn't seem to hurt me anywhere.  I didn't write a whiny addendum, either.  There's no shame in needing two shots at it, and retaking is a heck of a lot better than resigning yourself to a poor performance. 
U of Chicago 2010.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
It's hard to believe someone averaging 172 got a 163.  I would guess you're either taking old tests, or you're in denial.

Watch it, Bosco.  I was averaging 175 and I scored a 161.  (I knew I should've canceled, but my judgement at the time was not the best). 

Just retake it.  I had two LSAT scores on my application (just 8 weeks apart, with an 11 point difference between the two) and it didn't seem to hurt me anywhere.  I didn't write a whiny addendum, either.  There's no shame in needing two shots at it, and retaking is a heck of a lot better than resigning yourself to a poor performance. 

Sorry  ;).  In your case, obviously the 161 was a fluke.  But I think people have a tendency to convince themselves that they are going to score higher than they really are, myself included.  I don't know what the reason is - for me I think it had to do with focusing on my higher practice scores, and tending to ignore the lower practice scores.  Plus of course the nerves of actually taking the real thing.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »

Sorry  ;).  In your case, obviously the 161 was a fluke.  But I think people have a tendency to convince themselves that they are going to score higher than they really are, myself included.  I don't know what the reason is - for me I think it had to do with focusing on my higher practice scores, and tending to ignore the lower practice scores.  Plus of course the nerves of actually taking the real thing.

It's okay, the ego needs some deflation every now and then ;)  (Though you can probably imagine how utterly horrific that email was.)  On the upside, if I'd scored just a couple points higher I wouldn't have retaken and I wouldn't be going to Chicago (which I'm quite excited about.)  So it worked out for the best. 

I tend to be pretty blase about standardized testing, though.  I just showed up for my SAT; I thought the fact that I actually studied for the LSAT was admirable.  I think it's probably symptomatic of being relatively high achieving through elementary and high school.  I never really did any work in school, went through 'high achiever' programs (etc), and scored well and I presume a lot of people with law school aspirations are the same, so we just sort of assume we're going to tear it up on everything (which doesn't always work out when we're suddenly competing on a curve against a more concentrated group of smart people.)  A little humility is always a good thing.  I look forward to bolstering the bottom of the Chicago curve this fall. :)
U of Chicago 2010.