Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I got screwed by the scale and also need advice  (Read 1748 times)

raphelb

• View Profile
    • Email
So I got screwed by the scale and also need advice
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:36:28 PM »
This is my first post on these boards but I've been lurking around here for about a month and would really appreciate yout input on my situation. I scored a 163 on the damn June Test. This is 5 points lower than my first (and worst) prep test and I averaged about a 172 in the dozen or so prep tests I took. I have a 3.5 GPA and had my heart set on schools like Michigan, UCLA, and Northwestern. I know my GPA is on the low end for those schools but I was hoping a 170+ score would counteract that enough to keep me competetive and I thought I could pull it off since I was consistantly scoring 170+ on practice tests. I'm worried that even if I re-take the test in September and score 170+ they will see both scores and figure that 170+ is the fluke since the 163 matches my gpa (both are about 90%). As far as I can see I have two options: I can either just retake the test and pray I hit less dumb luck and pray the they will ignore the lower LSAT score or I can put off law school for now. If I give on applying this cycle, I could take my senior year to boost up my GPA (hopefully to a 3.6) and could possible get a year or two work of experience and then apply again in the future. With a 3.5 GPA and a 163 LSAT as a white student with only decent soft factors, I wont get anywhere near the top 20 range which I know I am capable of. Would you recommend retaking in September or do I throw in the towel for this cycle and try again in a few years?

P.S. To everyone else who feels like they have had all their plans thrown out the window by bad luck, I feel you pain.
Michigan 1L

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So I got screwed by the scale and also need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
This is my first post on these boards but I've been lurking around here for about a month and would really appreciate yout input on my situation. I scored a 163 on the damn June Test. This is 5 points lower than my first (and worst) prep test and I averaged about a 172 in the dozen or so prep tests I took. I have a 3.5 GPA and had my heart set on schools like Michigan, UCLA, and Northwestern. I know my GPA is on the low end for those schools but I was hoping a 170+ score would counteract that enough to keep me competetive and I thought I could pull it off since I was consistantly scoring 170+ on practice tests. I'm worried that even if I re-take the test in September and score 170+ they will see both scores and figure that 170+ is the fluke since the 163 matches my gpa (both are about 90%). As far as I can see I have two options: I can either just retake the test and pray I hit less dumb luck and pray the they will ignore the lower LSAT score or I can put off law school for now. If I give on applying this cycle, I could take my senior year to boost up my GPA (hopefully to a 3.6) and could possible get a year or two work of experience and then apply again in the future. With a 3.5 GPA and a 163 LSAT as a white student with only decent soft factors, I wont get anywhere near the top 20 range which I know I am capable of. Would you recommend retaking in September or do I throw in the towel for this cycle and try again in a few years?

P.S. To everyone else who feels like they have had all their plans thrown out the window by bad luck, I feel you pain.

A 3.5 is perfectly adequate for those schools with a 170+ LSAT.

I would just retake in September.  Make sure you're practicing with recent real exams, and make sure you're adding a mock experimental section.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »

Retake.

Also, the scale didn't screw you. The test isn't luck. You have to own your life - achievements, disappointments and all. I can't stand people who avoid taking responsibility.

I can't stand people who can't stand people.  :-*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »
Retake. Generally, all schools take the higher score, even if they say they average.  Stop blaming "the scale" or "bad luck."  It seems like you're saying you only took about a dozen prep tests.  Take like 20 more, go over them, and you should be fine.  Also, make sure as you get closer to the test you're taking the most recent practice tests.  It's hard to believe someone averaging 172 got a 163.  I would guess you're either taking old tests, or you're in denial.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »

Retake.

Also, the scale didn't screw you. The test isn't luck. You have to own your life - achievements, disappointments and all. I can't stand people who avoid taking responsibility.

I cant stand people who can't stand people who can't stand people.  :-*

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »

Retake.

I get hot for people who can't stand people who can't stand people who can't stand people!   :-*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

Retake.

I get hot for people who can't stand people who can't stand people who can't stand people!   :-*

I wink at people who get hot for people who can't stand people who can't stand people who can't stand people!  ;)

raphelb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied. To everyone who has commented that has claimed that I am in denial, I'm sorry you feel that way. There's no way to prove to you that I actually was getting 172 average on prep test other than to point out it would serve me no benefit to lie about my own prep test scores to you. I'm not trying to make excuses for my score. It happened. I earned it. Now I'm looking for the next step. Its looking like I guess I'll retake. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
Michigan 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 08:14:02 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied. To everyone who has commented that has claimed that I am in denial, I'm sorry you feel that way. There's no way to prove to you that I actually was getting 172 average on prep test other than to point out it would serve me no benefit to lie about my own prep test scores to you. I'm not trying to make excuses for my score. It happened. I earned it. Now I'm looking for the next step. Its looking like I guess I'll retake. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Were you taking recent tests?  Or tests from 5-10 years ago?  Maybe that was the problem.  And I don't think most people were saying you were in denial - they were saying you should take responsibility for your score, rather than blaming it on anything but yourself.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:59 PM »

Were you taking recent tests?  Or tests from 5-10 years ago?  Maybe that was the problem.  And I don't think most people were saying you were in denial - they were saying you should take responsibility for your score, rather than blaming it on anything but yourself.

In his defense, most posters here have blamed the scale for their scores.