Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June LSAT takers - your thoughts on comparative RC  (Read 739 times)

mentor

• View Profile
June LSAT takers - your thoughts on comparative RC
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
For those of you that just got your scores (congratulations and/or condolences), what did you think of the comparative RC section?  How did you do compared to the other 3 traditional passages?  Harder?  Easier?  Were you adequately prepared?
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

SergioCQH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: June LSAT takers - your thoughts on comparative RC
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:01:06 PM »
Comparative is easier than regular passages. Far easier.

Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »
Comparatively speaking, I found it fairly simple.

ErnieJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
I thought the scored comparative passage was pretty easy, but I had an experimental RC section where I found the comparative passage to be quite difficult.  I'll refrain from going into detail, but I felt the comparative nature of certain questions on the experimental passage elevated their difficulty beyond the typical RC question.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »
To the OP, take the easiness of this comparative RC for granted. As the curve shows, the test was easy overall.

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:33:02 AM »
The bottom line is that it's nothing to worry about studying separately, the same skills will still serve you well.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
I thought the scored comparative passage was pretty easy, but I had an experimental RC section where I found the comparative passage to be quite difficult.  I'll refrain from going into detail, but I felt the comparative nature of certain questions on the experimental passage elevated their difficulty beyond the typical RC question.

I actually thought the opposite: I thought the experiemental was easier than the real one. However, I thought both were actually pretty easy and in fact, I found the nature of the comparative reading easier than a straight up passage. For the comparative reading, I was actively looking for differences/similarities between the two passages. If it were wrapped on in one passage, I"m not sure I would have been as engaged. RC is usually my weakest section on the test.

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
I found the June 2007 comparative reading section easier than most RCs, but I expect it will get harder over the next few tests.
Try to get your hands on a few comparative reading sections before you write the test so you'll feel more confident with them. I know Kaplan has a few comparative reading sections from LSAC, so other test prep companies might as well. There's a sample section on Kaplan's site, which I used the day before the exam and found helpful:

http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/Article/Law/LSAT/Practice-LSAT/comparative-reading.html

I didn't find them any more challenging than regular RCs, but there are a few new strategies you can develop to master them - especially for detail questions which require you to compare details from each passage.

ErnieJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »

I actually thought the opposite: I thought the experiemental was easier than the real one. However, I thought both were actually pretty easy and in fact, I found the nature of the comparative reading easier than a straight up passage. For the comparative reading, I was actively looking for differences/similarities between the two passages. If it were wrapped on in one passage, I"m not sure I would have been as engaged. RC is usually my weakest section on the test.

Does everyone have the same experimental RC section, or does LSAC mix it up?  By the way, if we're discussing question types, the one that threw me off most from the experimental was where they asked to take a concept from one passage, and then apply it as an analogy to a concept from the second passage. 

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »

Does everyone have the same experimental RC section, or does LSAC mix it up?  By the way, if we're discussing question types, the one that threw me off most from the experimental was where they asked to take a concept from one passage, and then apply it as an analogy to a concept from the second passage. 

As far as I know, everyone who had exp RC had the same section. However, others had exp LR or exp LG sections.