Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My thoughts on the war...  (Read 7357 times)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: My thoughts on the war...
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2004, 01:34:38 PM »
Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.  Well, if you feel Michael Moore is just giving you the straight facts that's fine.  I'm not a die-hard conservative, I'm pretty moderate.  But I think the left is conspiracy-mongering, and Bush has done as well as he's been able under very hard circumstances.

For my part, your protestation to the contrary, I'd guess you're probably a liberal in denial.  I mean, I can see both sides, but Michael Moore is FAR from a documentary film-maker.  He's a propagandist.  Just do a little research on him.  His agenda is clear, and he'll do anything and say anything to further it.

I think it's pretty telling that John Kerry, the one man who is in a position to say the war was wrong, at most flubs the issue.  He's said repeatedly he'd vote for it if he had it all to do over again, knowing what he knew then.  What Kerry knew then was the same as what Bush knew.  He just claims he'd have "handled it differently" and "not mismanaged it".  Hmmm... sounds like double-talk to me.  At least I know where the hell Bush stands.  And I've got to say, I respect him.  If you don't, then don't vote for him.  But don't get caught up in the conspiracy-mongering of the far-left either, especially if you claim to be a "conservative".

ZAP

FYI- I am a die-hard conservative.  Though.... after all the chaos Bush has caused, I'm ashamed to admit it.

I'm far from obsessed w/the movie honey.  Moore just tells it the way it is.  The documentary is all FACT based.  Hence....a documentary. 

You said you'd be pissed off seeing this movie.  WHY?  Afraid to confront the truth and the fact that Bush is nothing but a joke.  4 more years of this animal & we're going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jennifer10

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2004, 01:48:38 PM »
I could go on & on arguing this with u.  Obviously u would like an @#$%&* to continue running our country & that's fine with me.  To each is own.

A Liberal in denial?? hahaha :o

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2004, 02:08:58 PM »
I'd rather have McCain than any of the choices we're presented with, but yes, I'd like to have Bush as my president if he's the alternative to Kerry and Nader.  I trust him more than Kerry, and I like his ideas better than Nader's.

ZAP

gobears

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »
I meant to go in there with an open mind.  People won't see it because they either.....
a)  Hate Michael Moore (Conservatives)
b)  Adore Bush  (Conservatives)
c)  Know the truth (Bush's ties to the Saudi's, Iraq had nothing to do w/it, etc., etc.,) and also are Conservatives!!!!!

Ah, gotcha.  I actually did see it.  Eh, unfortunately I wasn't too impressed.  It was interesting here and there, but overall I thought the movie was maybe so so at best (mostly speaking artistically, not politically -- I don't have any strong desire to get involved in "online politics" right now; however, I will say that I am neither a registered Republican nor Democrat, but Independent at this point, one of those on-the-fence voters or whatever you call them, but I think I've started to make up my mind these days; I agree with ZAP, though, something like a McCain/Edwards or McCain/Lieberman would've probably worked better for me).

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2004, 04:53:10 PM »
I really like Edwards too.  McCain and Edward would be a great ticket, and if it weren't for the political party system in America we might have a real choice.  Too bad everyone's trying to float their most "electable" candidate instead.

ZAP

Jennifer10

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »
I liked McCain too.  But the reality is that he's not running.  We have to deal w/the present & the ones that are currently running unfortunately.

lazybum

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2004, 05:38:22 PM »
Man, Jennifer, don't make me look like an ass for defending you on the 'handwriting' thread.  Even people who support Moore and his philosophy recognize that it is not a documentary.  And by the way, a documentary is defined as presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.  This definition does not suggest that just because it's based on facts that everything presented in the film is fact.  You may be able to classify the film as a documentary because it is based on facts, but facts can be skewed.  Facts can be included or ommitted to present only one side of an issue so as to show the audience what the filmmaker wants them to see. 

I am not knocking the film or supporting it; I am merely suggesting that it is skewed to present one view point.

FYI- I am a die-hard conservative. Though.... after all the chaos Bush has caused, I'm ashamed to admit it.

I'm far from obsessed w/the movie honey. Moore just tells it the way it is. The documentary is all FACT based. Hence....a documentary.

You said you'd be pissed off seeing this movie. WHY? Afraid to confront the truth and the fact that Bush is nothing but a joke. 4 more years of this animal & we're going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jennifer10

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2004, 05:55:25 PM »
I can stand my own ground and I don't need u defending me.  Lol.  When it comes to Bush, I have nothing good to say.  And that's all I have to say.

lazybum

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2004, 06:07:04 PM »
I'm not asking you to say anything good about Bush.  I mean, seriously- don't say anything good about Bush.  Not at all the point.  The point is about assessing a source's credibility.  I am not saying that Moore lacks all credibility.  I am saying that his credibility can only be conceded if we recognize he--- like every other person--- has an agenda. 

Take a look at historical biographies.  Biographies are supposed to tell you the story of one's life.  If one's best friend writes said biography, then it is apt to be skewed to show the better side of that person.  THat doesn't mean everything in the biography isn't true.  It only means that the darker things might be left out or brushed over in the biography.

If the same biography was written by one's opponent in business/politics/life/whatever, then the brighter things about the person may be brushed over or ommitted while the darker things are highlighted.

Same with the film.  This doesn't mean what Moore says isn't true.  It merely means you may not be getting the whole picture.

sexygolfer

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2004, 02:57:50 PM »
Wanna be Savannah- I think you have some SERIOUS issues!  You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.  I read your past (really long ass posts) threads and you are a SORE LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, are you black? because you sure as hell sound black.