Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A Realistic Fall '07 Strategy?  (Read 634 times)

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
A Realistic Fall '07 Strategy?
« on: July 01, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »
Hello everyone :) In the wake of the devastation that was Saturday, I notice that a lot of people are posting today concerning what their admission strategy should be. Here are my current thoughts:

Like a lot of you, I scored a 167 and have a 3.9 GPA. I am a URM (hispanic male) and practiced in the 170s on my PTs. All of us are a bit shocked that an 89 raw equates to a 167 lol. Anyway, I have a lot of ECs, travel abroad experience, and law related work experience. Also, I come from a state where students typically like to stay in-state to go to law school.

With those soft factors taken into consideration, my plan is to target Top 20 schools. I will literally go down the list and apply to just about all of them. I will also apply to all the schools surrounding DC. I plan to apply in early September for those schools that will take such early applications. Barring a September opening, I will apply literally on the first day the other schools open the floodgates.

Given the above, my plan is two-fold. I want to take the September test. Normally, I test in the 170s on PTs. Some schools in the top 20 definitely average, but they also seem to favorably consider the higher score. Why? Well, my thoughts are that schools in the Top 10 are most likely going to reject me for EA and include me in their normal decision considerations or accept me with little to no money. I am thinking that a higher LSAT, coming at the end of October, will bolster my case either in the normal decision timeframe or when it comes time to talk money.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this plan. What is realistic, what is not? What can I do to improve this plan?
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My strategy for Fall '07
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 12:47:08 PM »
Enjoy UMICH, UVa, or Cornell

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 01:16:18 PM »
apply to all of them...you will probably get into at least 1 T6 (prolly Penn or Chi).  congrats and good luck
Columbia 3L

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »
Thank you :) I would absolutely fall over laughing with joy if I got into UVA or Penn.

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
Re: A Realistic Fall '07 Strategy?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:34:17 PM »
bump  ;)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
I really don't think you need to apply to all of the top 20.  In fact, I think you could apply to just the T14 and still be safe, especially with URM status.

I can see retaking if you feel you have a good shot at the 170s and want to go to the highest ranked school possible, but if you would be happy at Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, etc., I really don't think you'll have a problem, especially if you apply early.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:57:15 PM »
I really don't think you need to apply to all of the top 20.  In fact, I think you could apply to just the T14 and still be safe, especially with URM status.

I can see retaking if you feel you have a good shot at the 170s and want to go to the highest ranked school possible, but if you would be happy at Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, etc., I really don't think you'll have a problem, especially if you apply early.

Thank you for the reply :) I am thinking so also but the whole "wide net" strategy appeals to the strategist in me. Also, the primary reason I am thinking of retaking the test in September is to help with a financial argument. Part of me thinks the URM status is enough in and of itself. However, another part of me thinks that the score is going to be all important in terms of a financial package. What do you think?

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:08 AM »
Dude there are URMs with much lower #s who have been accepted into alot of the T14.  Some in the low 160s with a 3.5ish gpa have been accepted at schools like Michigan,Georgetown,Fordham etc.  With better numbers you should have a really good shot.

Personally I wouldn't retake but just because I wouldn't want to deal with the stress of taking the test again.  Although taking the test again and getting a 170+ could potentially get you into one of the T3.  Good luck!

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »
Dude there are URMs with much lower #s who have been accepted into alot of the T14.  Some in the low 160s with a 3.5ish gpa have been accepted at schools like Michigan,Georgetown,Fordham etc.  With better numbers you should have a really good shot.

Personally I wouldn't retake but just because I wouldn't want to deal with the stress of taking the test again.  Although taking the test again and getting a 170+ could potentially get you into one of the T3.  Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words. I hope to God you are right. However, what are your thoughts on the money issue? Is a higher score going to improve my chances with scholarships...or am I smoking the peace pipe on this one?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »

I'm just speculating here but I would guess that people with low 160s and 3.5s who get into a T14 probably have some sort of awesome connection or life experience.  Like a LOR from a Supreme Court Justice, rich daddy who donated $100,000 to the university, or is a refugee who fled to America. 

That's just what I assume.  Beware though that I am pretty cynical.
_______
.|E|R|S.