Law School Discussion

GPA/LSAT split HELP

Re: GPA/LSAT split HELP
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 10:26:38 PM »
I've never read the book.

And BAMF, if you're still here...were you serious when you were saying you were a splitter?  Like others have said, your LSAT is more impressive than your GPA, and I would say you are pretty much the definition of a non-splitter.  Were you just confused as to what splitter meant, or were you joking around?

You know, I actually don't think he's joking, and just confused. Bamf1234, you really do have good #s - maybe not auto-admit #s for HYSC, but still way better than average (on both the GPA and LSAT fronts). Definitely not a splitter. Example of splitter: 171 and 2.8.

/subtle Chicago trolling

I think you have to define C as Chicago, especially because he's new at posting.  He probably assumed it was Columbia - good job MP  ::) (Side note - I think the roll eyes smiley should be more pissed - he looks too happy to be rolling his eyes)

And it's not subtle if you say it!!!!

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 10:26:56 PM »

And BAMF, if you're still here...were you serious when you were saying you were a splitter?  Like others have said, your LSAT is more impressive than your GPA, and I would say you are pretty much the definition of a non-splitter.  Were you just confused as to what splitter meant, or were you joking around?

You know, I actually don't think he's joking, and just confused. Bamf1234, you really do have good #s - maybe not auto-admit #s for HYSC, but still way better than average (on both the GPA and LSAT fronts). Definitely not a splitter. Example of splitter: 171 and 2.8.

/subtle Chicago trolling

Better than average isn't quite GOOD, you know? 165 and a 3.5 is way better than average, but that's not getting me into Harvard.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 10:27:37 PM »

/subtle Chicago trolling

I think you have to define C as Chicago, especially because he's new at posting.  He probably assumed it was Columbia - good job MP  ::) (Side note - I think the roll eyes smiley should be more pissed - he looks too happy to be rolling his eyes)

And it's not subtle if you say it!!!!

Oh, I did figure the C was for Columbia. Is Chicago harder than Columbia to get into?

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »

Yeah I was serious, maybe not so much anymore.

The thing is, a 171 seems kinda commonplace to me after reading this board (lots of 170s). It seems like very few people have a 3.8 or higher. My school doesn't do A+s so a 4.0 is where it tops out, and I'm in the top 2% of my class, my registrar tells me. So, ok, maybe I'm not a splitter :) But there was some good info in this thread! I think I'll blanket the top 10 schools with applications. Can anyone think of any reason I'd need to apply outside the top 10 or so schools?

Right, so you're 98% LSAT, 98% GPA - but yeah, looking at this board can be misleading - you rarely see someone 150 or below, but half of the people out there have those scores.

I would just apply to all of the T14 - I used money at school x to get money at school y, then used y to get money at z, etc.  You'll probably get a lot of fee waivers - plus the 70 bux is nothing.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »

Yeah I was serious, maybe not so much anymore.

The thing is, a 171 seems kinda commonplace to me after reading this board (lots of 170s). It seems like very few people have a 3.8 or higher. My school doesn't do A+s so a 4.0 is where it tops out, and I'm in the top 2% of my class, my registrar tells me. So, ok, maybe I'm not a splitter :) But there was some good info in this thread! I think I'll blanket the top 10 schools with applications. Can anyone think of any reason I'd need to apply outside the top 10 or so schools?

Right, so you're 98% LSAT, 98% GPA - but yeah, looking at this board can be misleading - you rarely see someone 150 or below, but half of the people out there have those scores.

I would just apply to all of the T14 - I used money at school x to get money at school y, then used y to get money at z, etc.  You'll probably get a lot of fee waivers - plus the 70 bux is nothing.

Even if I get 5 fee waivers... 70x9=$630, which is a lot of money for me. I'm not too keen on Boalt anyway, and someone in this thread said I have no shot.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 10:39:22 PM »
Haha. So not an autoadmit to HYSCC, does that mean I'm autoadmit to everything else? I can live with that!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 10:46:34 PM »
Haha. So not an autoadmit to HYSCC, does that mean I'm autoadmit to everything else? I can live with that!

There are always exceptions, like UVA (harder if you're out of state, although I still don't think you'd have a problem, unless you have a criminal background or send the school an "I love X-school-not-UVA" essay or something.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but we had a Bamf this cycle too (still have actually, lol) and I keep getting confused when I see this thread :P

Haha, well maybe I'm the better BAMF! I really like UVA because it's collegial. I'm out of state, but I hope it doesn't count too much against me. I think I might like NYU, Chicago, Mich and Penn better, but we'll see.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 10:49:08 PM »

I think your cycle will be very very similar to mine.  We had basically identical numbers (your GPA about a tenth of a point better, my LSAT one point better)  When I originally applied I had a 172/3.74 (GPA went up during the cycle).  I would guess you have a good shot at getting 50-60k at Duke or Michigan early in the cycle, and then you can use that for leverage.  So you probably don't need to apply to Boalt, NW, Cornell, Georgetown.

Here's my lsn profile...I would say you will have very similar, if not identical results.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bosco1386

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »

I think your cycle will be very very similar to mine.  We had basically identical numbers (your GPA about a tenth of a point better, my LSAT one point better)  When I originally applied I had a 172/3.74 (GPA went up during the cycle).  I would guess you have a good shot at getting 50-60k at Duke or Michigan early in the cycle, and then you can use that for leverage.  So you probably don't need to apply to Boalt, NW, Cornell, Georgetown.

Here's my lsn profile...I would say you will have very similar, if not identical results.

I thought Northwestern never accepted people straight from undergrad. Did you wow them?

By the way: awesome results! I'd be proud to follow in your footsteps. I hope doing 1 point worse on the lsat doesn't hurt me.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »

I thought Northwestern never accepted people straight from undergrad. Did you wow them?

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that - NW didn't accept me for this cycle.  They accepted me for the class of 2011 with that scholarship.  "We like you, but want you to get a year of work experience, blah blah."