Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre L.S. Salary: negative impact on initial award offering?  (Read 1608 times)

seananthony

• View Profile
    • Email
Does an applicant's salary have a big impact on how much law schools will offer up front?

Viz.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre L.S. Salary: negative impact on initial award offering?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:42:49 PM »
Sure, on Need based, but not merit based money.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:33:05 PM »
Yeah, it sucks, actually.  Right out of college, I would have gotten need-based aid for sure, but after working for a few years, there's no way.  Of course, that's also partly because of being married.  But not totally.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

seananthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »
Flyaway, that is exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me. Thank you both for the replies!

I have a follow up question:

Regarding merit-based scholarships, would a law school look favorably upon someone with work experience?

Any help is appreciated!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:04:48 AM »
Not as much as you'd think because the bulk of the schools that give out need-based grants count parents' income. Some have an age cutoff (usually around 28-30), while others will count your parents' income even if you're 40 because they think parents are a viable source for a loan. Of course the biggest problem with that is that older students' parents are probably retired or close to retiring and may have a lot of money saved up.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
Flyaway, that is exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me. Thank you both for the replies!

I have a follow up question:

Regarding merit-based scholarships, would a law school look favorably upon someone with work experience?

Any help is appreciated!

I wouldn't say that my merit-based scholarships differed from what you would expect for someone with my LSAT/GPA who didn't have several years of post-college work experience.

seananthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »
Hmmm. Well this may change when I decide to go to law school. I am 23 right now, and I wasn't planning on going to law school for quite some time (2 years minimum). However, I am in the process of studying for the LSAT (while I still have time - I'm a graduate student) as well as getting some sweet LOR's sent in to LSAC (while my profs still know me). I would go to law school sooner, but I may have some work opportunities soon that I can't turn down. This worries me because I at least want federally subsidized loans for law school, as opposed to the loans that simply rely on my credit score and then charge market interest rates. *sigh* - this is what it is, I suppose - I better learn to deal with tough decisions or else I won't last long in this game...

Flyaway, that's an incredible LSAT score, and those are some awesome schools you got money for. Do you mind if I ask how long you studied for, and what kinds of materials/courses you used?
/changes topic[ 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
It's really hard to disqualify yourself from the subsidized loans. Your EFC has to be pretty close to the COA. I can't say I know anyone who isn't getting the full $8,500 in subsidized loans because the vast majority of the people who have an EFC high enough to meet the COA are not going to go to law school in the first place, unless they're married to someone who makes a lot of money.

seananthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »
Okay. Funny I don't even know this despite having stafford loans outstanding currently. I suppose I assumed only poor people get them since I am poor and I have one. No wonder I'm having trouble with the LSAT games section  :P

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »
Oh, I definitely wouldn't recommend not pursing work opportunities because of financial aid.  I feel much better equipped for law school than I was right out of college.

I'm actually not getting the full $8,500, but close.  If I were single, I'm sure I'd be getting all of it.  But if you don't get the full subsidized amount, they make up for it with more unsubsidized Stafford.  Starting this school year, the amount has been raised to 20,500.

As far as studying, I studied myself, mainly just taking a lot of PrepTests.  I didn't decide to take it until 7 weeks before the test, so I was on a condensed study schedule, but I was very disciplined about it.  I did take a look at the PowerScore books, though LR was always my strong point, so it didn't do much for me there.  It did help with Games, as I needed some speed, and learning to diagram consistently was the biggest help!  I took a full-length timed test about every other day, and I worked sections in between.