Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mission Brown-Nose: Starting now.  (Read 1669 times)

Annie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do a little dance
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RiotGirl84
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mission Brown-Nose: Starting now.
« on: September 20, 2004, 02:49:21 PM »
I transferred undergrad universities, and now obviously do not have any kind of rapport with the professors.

The classes at my previous college were small, and I was on a first-name basis with the professors. However, I doubt any of them would remember me when it comes time to apply to law school (next year).

In large classes, what kind of antics do I have to pull in order to gain the professor's attention/favor?

Yeah, it's a big scheme. But I'm okay with that.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mission Brown-Nose: Starting now.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 02:52:31 PM »
Get good grades, go to office hours, be a research assistant.  I only did the first part of that trio, so I'm not getting LORs from professors that taught big classes.  So other people can probably give better advice based on experience :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

mukhia

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:53:36 PM »
Wear that dress to class... ;)

Annie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do a little dance
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RiotGirl84
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 02:55:34 PM »

I'm sure the Nazi-Femme professor teaching my feminist literature class will LOVE that.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost.

mukhia

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 03:02:48 PM »

I'm sure the Nazi-Femme professor teaching my feminist literature class will LOVE that.

And why wouldn't she?  You're just exercising your feminist rights!  This is what a feminist looks like! 

Seriously though, if you show your interest in class, participate, ask insightful questions, go to office hours, etc., there's no way a professor would not remember you.

lazybum

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:18:10 PM »
Get good grades, go to office hours (!!!!), make it personal with the teacher... meaning, let the prof know who you are and what your plans are... mentioning that you're going to go to law school is good so that later on they'll remember this was something you'd been planning on doing for some time-- not just something to do after graduation so you don't have to get a 'real' job.
Likewise, try taking a couple of classes with the same professor so that there's no doubt in their mind about your ability (assuming you do well and have good interaction with the prof).  Also, keep stopping by their office once you've finished the class-- just to say hi and see how things are going--- that way they don't forget about you in between the time you finish their class and the time you actually ask for the recommendation.

I did this--- not because I was planning on getting a recommendation--- but just because I was looking for a mentor in my department.  It ended up working out phenomenally--- great recommendations from two professors who I initially had for intro courses that were 200+ people.  (I later had one of the professors for a smaller, higher level class)  They were able to comment on my abilities, as well as my growth in the learning process.

Hope that helps a bit.

brothernads

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 03:22:58 PM »
Why not try to get a rec from your old professors now? At the very least, you can decide not to use it next year. Just explain your plans for LS and see if they will write you a letter.

If you were on a first-name basis with them and they have good things to say about you, they should have no problem writing one. It might be a more substantive letter than one from a prof who barely knows your name.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 03:54:08 PM »
I agree...ask a professor now for a rec.  If there's one you admired for a certain reason, or one you had a fantastic relationship with, ask them.  And then cultivate another rec or two from your current university.

Using "older" recs is a fine idea.  You'll have to set up or lsdas file now, but it stays active for 5 years or something like that.  I got a rec in the spring of 2003, right after I had a professor I really like, and I'm using it for this admission cycle.

It could also show good planning on your part, that you got a rec early from a school you no longer attend.

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 10:11:25 PM »
And why wouldn't she?  You're just exercising your feminist rights!  This is what a feminist looks like! 

this has actually always been my strategy-- never make scarily aggressive feminazi argument without @#!*-me boots. and when i presented at a conference i wore a little miniskirt with chains... err...maybe that was questionable. i got asked out after my talk though.

dr_draino

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »
1)  When you go by during office hours, make sure you're asking them about the class...sometimes, just going up after class and asking a question is enough.  Do NOT make small talk unless the prof is leading it in that direction.  Passingly mentioning your heavy course load, fine, asking them about their personal life before they mention it, no-no.

2)  Students I remember most in large lecture classes are ones that speak to me a few times during the semester, each time with a question and then kick-ass on the assignments.  If someone asks me one question or two questions after class, without coming by my office hours and then busts out a high grade on the test, I wanna know more abou that person and will further the conversation with them later in the semester.

3)  Worried they won't figure out your name?  Ask a question after class, then email later that day with either a follow up question or an ask for clarification.  Thank them for their time in that email.  DON'T email just to say thanks, and make sure the questions really are meaningful.