Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June test vs. Sept test  (Read 527 times)

EZboy

• View Profile
June test vs. Sept test
« on: June 30, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
Seeing how brutal the curve was for the the June test, are there any expectations that the Sept. test will be harder in order to make scoring 170+ a little easier? Or is this line of reasoning just wishful thinking?

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: June test vs. Sept test
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:09:10 PM »
Just a thought:

Do you think the June scale is so steep because so many of us have extra time to prep, as opposed Dec or Feb when we're in school and presumably prepping less?

EZboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
I guess that would mean the Sept test will be even more brutal since most people will have the entire summer to prep.

Primetime

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 04:13:17 PM »
I guess that would mean the Sept test will be even more brutal since most people will have the entire summer to prep.

No. They do the scale before hand according to powerscore. They assign difficulty to each question like super prep does.  So i guess the easier the test is the harder the scale.

EZboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
oops. by more brutal, I meant the curve. Since most people will study more during the summer, then that means more people will get more answers correct, making it more difficult to break 170? right?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »
The purpose of the scale is so that your score, no matter when you took the test, can be accurately compared with other scores from different tests. There is no reason to think that it will be easier to score a 170 on the September test.

The scale takes test taker performance from the last few years into account - so you're not at a disadvantage on the June or September test because test takers then tend to be better prepared.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
oops. by more brutal, I meant the curve. Since most people will study more during the summer, then that means more people will get more answers correct, making it more difficult to break 170? right?

Same answer.  

The curve/scale is set by the difficulty of the questions, which is determined by seeing how people did when they took those questions as experimentals. (I believe.)

The actual performance of the students on any given administration is irrelevant to the curve/scale.  Everyone could theoretically get 170 on this or any exam.