Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my score - Advice on Sep LSAT Prep?  (Read 506 times)

• View Profile
Just got my score - Advice on Sep LSAT Prep?
« on: June 30, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
Got a 162 and was hoping for at least a 165. RC killed me with -9. I got a -9 on the first RC section I ever took over 6 months ago so there was absolutely no improvement. Everything else was solid and what I expected. Who is deciding to retake in September? I'm def retaking, and I need to somehow fix this RC issue. Any advice or LSAT tutors? In the Chicago area?  Thanks

Primetime

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my score - Advice on Sep LSAT Prep?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »
There is no such thing as RC tutors. You just have to focus.

The sections  you can get help on are diagramming for LR problems and logic games.

Maybe taking a speed reading course.

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »
Maybe taking a speed reading course.

Do they actually have those? That could come in handy

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 03:01:35 PM »
speed reading is bad! the passages are way too dense for it to be useful.

Get a subscription to the Economist and/or the NY Times. Read lots. Do zillions of RC passages over and over. Dissect them untimed and slowly cut down the time you take.

RC was my weak point--I'd never finish the last passage--usually leave 4 blank and miss a few more. Dedicating a lot of study to RC helped. I started reading more dense, journalistic articles instead of literature (which is usually the bulk of my reading). And I stopped using a digital timer in practice because I was looking at it too much. I missed only 2 RC on test day so it paid off!
CLS 2011

AllyS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
speed reading is bad! the passages are way too dense for it to be useful.

Get a subscription to the Economist and/or the NY Times. Read lots. Do zillions of RC passages over and over. Dissect them untimed and slowly cut down the time you take.

RC was my weak point--I'd never finish the last passage--usually leave 4 blank and miss a few more. Dedicating a lot of study to RC helped. I started reading more dense, journalistic articles instead of literature (which is usually the bulk of my reading). And I stopped using a digital timer in practice because I was looking at it too much. I missed only 2 RC on test day so it paid off!

Wow! Good job! RC was my weakest - on a good day I missed 7, lol. And on a bad day...it was brutal.. Good thing my other sections were strong enough to compensate for it

Demophon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »
Hey,

Sorry if this seems like I'm advertising or something. I've been lurking here for a while and just registered once I got my score.

I got a 178, and I feel like a big part of what helped me was this guy:

http://www.perfectlsat.com/

We did everything online or on the phone. He's a nice guy, very smart and knows his stuff. So I'd recommend him highly.

Good luck next time!