Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too many people are lying  (Read 9500 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Too many people are lying
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »
But this board makes you feel like anything below 170 is bad.

This is more a product of the neurosis of people who already feel inadequate than anything high-scorers might believe about them.

I don't know -- when people say that a score in the 150's is a "horrible" score, even though it's above average, and good enough to get into law school, it doesn't help much.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:18 PM »
Who's saying that?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »
Who's saying that?

I've definitely seen it on this board.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
What I see is "OMG I only got a 159, I'm DOOMED!!!!!"

What I don't see, "I got a 179 and you suck if you didn't."

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
'60s represent...

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2007, 05:35:04 AM »
I don't know -- when people say that a score in the 150's is a "horrible" score, even though it's above average, and good enough to get into law school, it doesn't help much

Is it above average? I was under the impression that a lot of people who took the LSAT didn't actually end up attending law school. Since I haven't seen any discussion of marks 120 - 140 at all, it's a fair assumption that the majority of those are at the lower end of the scale. So I think a 150s score (at least low to mid) is unlikely to be the average of those attending law school.

Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
What I see is "OMG I only got a 159, I'm DOOMED!!!!!"

What I don't see, "I got a 179 and you suck if you didn't."

I've literally seen people telling people with 150's scores"that's a horrible score."  Verbatim.

And have you forgotten about judgie poo already?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »
I don't know -- when people say that a score in the 150's is a "horrible" score, even though it's above average, and good enough to get into law school, it doesn't help much

Is it above average?

The average LSAT score is a 151/152.  So most LSAT scores in the 150's are in fact above average.

I was under the impression that a lot of people who took the LSAT didn't actually end up attending law school. [/quote]

Sure.  Not really relevant, though.

Since I haven't seen any discussion of marks 120 - 140 at all, it's a fair assumption that the majority of those are at the lower end of the scale.

120-140 are by definition at the lower end of the scale.  That doesn't say anything about 150's, though. 

You also can't assume anything just because people don't discuss lower scores. Obviously, people will be reluctant to discuss lower scores.

So I think a 150s score (at least low to mid) is unlikely to be the average of those attending law school.

Nobody said a low 150's score is the average of those attending law school.  It's simply an average LSAT score, period. 

That said, a low 150's score will in fact get you into law school (with half-decent grades).  And there's little doubt in my mind that the average LSAT score of students attending law school today is in fact in the 150's.  Keep in mind that most schools are not in the first tier, and only about 15% of all testakers break 160. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
I think the discussion of a "good" score or a "bad" score needs to consider the utility of a particular score.  Some people are not interested in becoming judges, justices, scholars, lecturers, attorneys general or anything like that.  For them, attempting to achieve a 170+ is not an economical use of their time and/or money.  Someone whose only goal is to work as a family law attorney in Nashville, for instance, doesn't gain much utility out of hitting a score higher than is required to get into the Nashville School of Law.  For them, a 145-149, while "below average" is a perfectly good score, and there's no reason to look down on it.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »

Is it above average?

The average LSAT score is a 151/152.  So most LSAT scores in the 150's are in fact above average.

I was under the impression that a lot of people who took the LSAT didn't actually end up attending law school.

Sure.  Not really relevant, though.

It is if you are making a judgement call about what makes a 'good score'. Which is what people are doing when they discuss results.

Since I haven't seen any discussion of marks 120 - 140 at all, it's a fair assumption that the majority of those are at the lower end of the scale.

120-140 are by definition at the lower end of the scale.  That doesn't say anything about 150's, though. 

You also can't assume anything just because people don't discuss lower scores. Obviously, people will be reluctant to discuss lower scores.

My bad, a complete referential failure. Those = those who don't attend law school. My assumption is that the vast majority of those who don't attend law school score at the lower end of the scale and so the average person you are competing against is better than the scaled LSAT averages would suggest.

So I think a 150s score (at least low to mid) is unlikely to be the average of those attending law school.

Nobody said a low 150's score is the average of those attending law school.  It's simply an average LSAT score, period. 

That said, a low 150's score will in fact get you into law school (with half-decent grades).  And there's little doubt in my mind that the average LSAT score of students attending law school today is in fact in the 150's.  Keep in mind that most schools are not in the first tier, and only about 15% of all testakers break 160. 

15% of all test takers but what percentage of those attending law school? 25 - 30% is my impression, which would make a big difference to a subjective assessment of the score. Which is what people are doing when they discuss results. Your last point, however, is well taken.

Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!