Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Room Selection  (Read 3427 times)

peach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Room Selection
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
Is there any way to find out what room you'll be in for test day, so as to see the kinds of distractions you'll be faced with? (I obviously know the test center, but I don't know how to find out the exact room)...

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
Re: Room Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »
Is there any way to find out what room you'll be in for test day, so as to see the kinds of distractions you'll be faced with? (I obviously know the test center, but I don't know how to find out the exact room)...

If you are obsessing over which precise room you'll be in, so as to determine which distractions you will face as distinct from the distractions in any other room at the same test center, you are on a fast train to test-day meltdown.

You need to lose the OCD, and prepare yourself mentally and emotionally to take the test under the most distracting conditions imaginable, and still get an excellent score.

Practice in a noisy coffee shop, with espresso machines going off constantly, on a bus/subway etc., all kinds of conditions.

If you practice under only pristine conditions, you're bound to be severely disappointed on test day.

quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »

Pretty sure the answer is no.  Not sure when you are taking the test but when I took timed tests, I intentionally took some practice tests at places like the public library and Borders.  I know this sounds crazy but I got to a point where I could tune out the noise and focus.  Helped me a lot on test day!
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

If you are obsessing over which precise room you'll be in, so as to determine which distractions you will face as distinct from the distractions in any other room at the same test center, you are on a fast train to test-day meltdown.

You need to lose the OCD, and prepare yourself mentally and emotionally to take the test under the most distracting conditions imaginable, and still get an excellent score.

Practice in a noisy coffee shop, with espresso machines going off constantly, on a bus/subway etc., all kinds of conditions.

If you practice under only pristine conditions, you're bound to be severely disappointed on test day.

I agree. There is a DVD to help with this as well.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

cwhelan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
Yep, you need to be simultaneously prepared but also chilled out. Anxiety won't help. Also as far as I know they just fill up rooms as they fill. No way to know.