Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Checking the Native American box.  (Read 3667 times)

drsocc

Checking the Native American box.
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
Would this help you out at all even if you don't look Native American at all?

The school I'm attending and about to graduate from recently took a Chinese American student who checked the Hispanic box into their graduate engineering program.  The admissions people and faculty who took him hadn't met him before he arrived and were expecting, well, a mexican person.  They were all kind of shocked when he got there.

Of course they let him stay - he was still a picture perfect student.  His reasoning for checking the box was that he identified with the latin culture and really enjoyed listening to salsa music.  To be fair he also lived in Spain for a number of years, spoke fluent spanish and he really was a pretty good representation of someone who identified with latin culture.

My Question:

If I checked the Native American box (I really am something like 1/32 or something ridiculous like that) would it help my chances of getting into a better school?  Also - would admissions people be ticked when I showed up and looked white catholic but explained my cultural identification with the Algonquin?

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Checking the Native American box.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:25:06 AM »
If you check Native american You better be able to prove it with documentation.  I'm 1/4 cherokee on both sides of my family but I never check Native American because I'm not documented.  If you can't prove it they will probably be a little upset.

I can prove it I just never took advantage of it.  I have talk to my grandmother to get the nemes of my ancestors.  Then I have contact the Cherokee Nation to see if thier names are on the membership rolls if so then I have to petition the Feds for Blood Documents stating that I'm Native American.

You don't have to look Native American to be Native American.  You just have to be honest with yourself and not be a racist prick.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »
I don't think so.  either you are or you aren't.  People were murdered because of thier race.  People are murdered today because of thier race.  To some this AA thing is some sort of a game.  How much can they lie and get away with it.  They think its unfair thay can't take advantage of a system designed to soften past transgressions.  What they don't realize is that some of the people applying today have parents that were abused under an opressive system and still feel the pains of a racist society on the verge of genocide.

I don't find this line of questioning amusing.  If the OP really had a case he wouldn't ask this question on LSD he would ask the admissions people at his school.  This is a flame and I suspect OP's a racist prick.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »
Cultural identification doesn't cut it. And unless you can write a compelling diversity statement about being Native American I don't think checking the box will help all that much.

If you were 1/32 but grew up on a reservation, sure, you could be Native American. But you, OP, are not.
CLS 2011

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
I am 1/4 Muskogee Native American, and I check the box because I ALWAYS have. When I was 6 years old taking my first standardized test, when I didn't even know what AA was, I checked NA because my grandmother and father had made me proud of my culture. Its a part of who I am. It doesn't sound like this is the case with you, please don't check it.
Vandy 1L... really?

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »
odd question... no. ???

NotSmails

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:32:59 AM »
Cultural identification doesn't cut it. And unless you can write a compelling diversity statement about being Native American I don't think checking the box will help all that much.[/i]

If you were 1/32 but grew up on a reservation, sure, you could be Native American. But you, OP, are not.

The sky is blue in my world.

Et tu?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 02:50:08 AM »
A little part of me died when I read the op

biomed engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:25 AM »
I am 1/4 Muskogee Native American, and I check the box because I ALWAYS have. When I was 6 years old taking my first standardized test, when I didn't even know what AA was, I checked NA because my grandmother and father had made me proud of my culture. Its a part of who I am. It doesn't sound like this is the case with you, please don't check it.

Me too.  I have always checked the box.  I grew up on an Indian Reservation in Arizona and learned Apache before English.  However, in regards to affirmative action, it was outlawed in Florida (my current state) in 2000 by Governor Jeb Bush and the Florida legislature.  Florida no longer has affirmative action, so checking the box won't really help me.  I am hoping to go into patent law.  I have an MS in Bioengineering from Arizona State and my undergraduate major was physics at Notre Dame.  Despite the fact that affirmative action was outlawed, minority enrollment actually increased here in Florida.  I am simply stating historical facts about the topic.  I hope I don't get flamed for it.  Many times, people get misinterpreted on internet forums, then flaming sessions follow.  All I pointed out was (1) I also check the box and (2) affirmative action was outlawed in 2000 (as a matter of fact).  I did not move here until 2002 from Colorado.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:36:12 AM »
A little part of me died when I read the op

Well let's hope the rest of you is OK!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.