Law School Discussion

Having trouble finding people for my LOR

Having trouble finding people for my LOR
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:09:31 PM »
I have been out of school since December 2005 and havent really kept in touch with any of my professors. I have had 4 different jobs since graduation so I cant really ask any of my former employers.  The only people I can think of who could possibly write me one would be a former co worker, a  person that led a program that I volunteered for while in college, and a TA that taught a class I had in 2003.  Am I screwed?

Re: Having trouble finding people for my LOR
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
The TA and the leader of the org you volunteered for might work, but the co-worker isn't a great idea.  Adcomms really want letters from Profs. Maybe you should try and get in touch with a prof. Explain your situation and ask if they would feel comfortable writing a letter for you. It'll be a generic letter, but I think that's better than one from a co-worker.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:09:28 AM »
I have been out of school since December 2005 and havent really kept in touch with any of my professors. I have had 4 different jobs since graduation so I cant really ask any of my former employers.  The only people I can think of who could possibly write me one would be a former co worker, a  person that led a program that I volunteered for while in college, and a TA that taught a class I had in 2003.  Am I screwed?

think of a professor who remembers you and in whose class you got a good grade. try to find some work that you did in his class, give it to him/her and ask to write an LOR based on that.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »
At this point I am a 5 hour drive from my school.  How would I contact the professor? They would recognize me by face but not just my name if I were to send them an email. Im not sure what to do.

psychobubble

• You taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:12:37 PM »
Attach your picture to your e-mail - we have the technology.  Also, make sure that you include a list of classes (and the respective grades) that you took from the prof, along with the dates.

If he/she agrees, allow MONTHS!!!! Some profs take forever to write the LOR.  Make sure that you forward a copy of your unofficial transcript, a list of all scholarships, honors, and community service activities.   Give them the raw material to work with, make the job easy for them, and you'll get a better LOR.