Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another "That Guy" Story  (Read 5176 times)

drsocc

Another "That Guy" Story
« on: June 29, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
Before the test started the guy next to me asked how many sections there were and how long it would take.  I didn't mind answering and let him know that there is no penalty for guessing.  This guy went on to screw me in the third section.

The proctors read the test instructions and everything was really typical.  It took a long time for all 88 people to check in and sit down, but whatever - I was in no hurry.  I was Zen DrSocc.  I had become one with the LSAT godhead and I was going to own that test.  Much the same way Will Farrell debated the Ragin' Cajun in Old School if you can imagine that.  That was my frame of mind.

The first games section went great.  I couldn't believe how easy it was.  I just sort of ripped through it with time to spare.  The second section turned out to be experimental reading comp.  It wasn't so bad - but there were a lot of questions.  The third section was where things went wrong.

The third section was Logical Reasoning (or arguments, whatever you want to call it).  LR is one of my stronger sections.  Unfortunately the guy next to me didn't know how to fill out a scantron.  The proctors noticed he hadn't bubbled in a single question.  They came over and started explaining to him how to fill it out, they informed him that he wasn't allowed to go back and fill in his answers from previous sections.  He started arguing that he planned on working during the break and saw no reason to "waste time" so he'd just go back and fill them in then.

The argument kept f-ing going.  My concentration was completely broken in two.  I didn't even get to two of the questions - something that hasn't happened to me since I started studying for the test about 4 months back.  I was furious.

During the break he walked up to me and said, "wow, this sure is a hard test."  I wanted to punch him in the face.  Instead - I went and talked to the proctors.  I told them they needed to get him squared away before the test began and that having an argument about the test with a test taker was pretty distracting to me seeing as I was seated right next to the fiasco.  They weren't helpful.

After the break is over we all sat down again and began working.  For the duration of the test I was treated to "Oh @#!*. Oh @#!*. Oh @#!*. Oh Jesus. Oh @#!*. Oh Jesus. Oh @#!*. @#!* @#!* @#!*." being whispered and the sound of pages being turned furiously as the guy went back to other sections and began cheating like crazy to copy his answers over.

I did pretty well on all the counted sections except for that third section - so I didn't cancel my score.  I think I might have to take the test again though because I feel like I really bombed that third section.  It was kind of a bummer to have worked that hard and ended up that distracted during the test.

Anyway - I just really wanted to vent this somewhere and figured this is probably the best place.  I just couldn't believe someone who is probably on the verge of getting an undergraduate degree could be that dumb.  Where do these kinds of people come from?

I guess it just shows that getting your BA or BS isn't satisfactory anymore and that grad school or law school is becoming more and more of a requirement for proving that you're a capable individual.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Another "That Guy" Story
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »
That sucks

drsocc

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
Yep.  On the bright side I'm going backpacking pretty soon through Yosemite.  That should help me forget my low score.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 02:59:13 PM »
I guess it just shows that getting your BA or BS isn't satisfactory anymore and that grad school or law school is becoming more and more of a requirement for proving that you're a capable individual.

Obviously, the guy sitting next to you wasn't a very capable individual...
VIP.

Flame Retardant Spray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »
::sprays cal::

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 03:06:44 AM »

That's a hilarious story.

I guess the only thing you could have done is speak up when they started arguing.  (e.g."Um, hey, I'm trying to take a f*cking test here".)  But you probably didn't expect it to continue very long. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »

I love the part where he plans on working during the break. 

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »
The lady in front of me kept leaning back to stretch. We were so close she bumped me a couple of times.  I wanted to stab her with a pencil.  She was hot, and smelled good but I was't there to meet people.

I shoulda stabbed da female dog. >:D

I feel for you OP.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
The lady in front of me kept leaning back to stretch. We were so close she bumped me a couple of times.  I wanted to stab her with a pencil.  She was hot, and smelled good but I was't there to meet people.

I feel for you OP.

You should've filled her LSAC box with your score release.

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »

I feel for you OP.

You should've filled her LSAC box with your score release.
;)
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.