Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PSA: LSAT SCORES  (Read 1729 times)

mentor

• View Profile
PSA: LSAT SCORES
« on: June 29, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »
PSA 1: LSAC is not engaged in a grand conspiracy to shift the scale and ruin your score.  There are no elders at LSAC whose protocols you need to watch for.  The black helicopters will not overrun your Northern Idaho stronghold in an effort to keep you out of Yale.  The scale is always normalized to the scores of the takers over the last three years. 

Translation: you're only as good as how much better you are than everybody else. 

PSA 2: You will get your score when it magically shows up in your inbox.  If you can't stand the wait, start drinking.

-----------------------
The More You Know
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

odinmercer

• View Profile
Re: PSA: LSAT SCORES
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »
PSA2 was largely unnecessary. I think most everyone has started drinking by now.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »
PSA 1: LSAC is not engaged in a grand conspiracy to shift the scale and ruin your score.  There are no elders at LSAC whose protocols you need to watch for.  The black helicopters will not overrun your Northern Idaho stronghold in an effort to keep you out of Yale.  The scale is always normalized to the scores of the takers over the last three years. 

Translation: you're only as good as how much better you are than everybody else. 

PSA 2: You will get your score when it magically shows up in your inbox.  If you can't stand the wait, start drinking.

-----------------------
The More You Know

If normalization was really such a precise art, people's scores would not fluctuate from test to test. LSAC has itself claimed a 5-point margin of error on their test.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »

-----------------------
The More You Know

If normalization was really such a precise art, people's scores would not fluctuate from test to test. LSAC has itself claimed a 5-point margin of error on their test.

I think the score fluctuations are primarily due to difference in individual performance, not problems in norming.  For example, guessing alone can account for several points on any given exam.

mentor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
People's scores fluctuate from test to test for all sorts of reasons, none of which consists of an evil cabal of LSAC administrators pulling doomswitches while cackling 'BWAHAHAHAHA ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!'

Besides, it's a 6 point margin of error, and LSAC represents this as a score band.
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 02:14:33 PM »
Yeah, I generally agree. Still, I think the test's normalization is not nearly accurate enough to allow for law schools to use it as such an important factor in admissions; specifically schools that have predetermined cutoff marks. I am not laying blame on LSAC for this; but clearly, people's admissions chances are determined at least in part by luck, specific vocabulary foibles from test to test, and normalization.

drsocc

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
I like to think that in some other universe I fluked it and got a perfect 180.  Quantum immortality, baby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality

mentor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
Speak for yourself.  I think the LSAT is the most accurate and important factor any admissions officer should ever look for.  GPA, meanwhile, should be banished from the process.
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »
Speak for yourself.  I think the LSAT is the most accurate and important factor any admissions officer should ever look for.  GPA, meanwhile, should be banished from the process.

And your rationale is...

emgray08

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »

Some people (note some) can get a perfect 180 but can be absolute morons when it comes to being a lawyer.  Just because some individuals score in the mid 150's-160's does not mean they will be any better or worse as a lawyer than someone who scores a 180. When you one day are or need a lawyer will you only hire someone based on their score?  You will hopefully judge their character and litigation abilities, not what they recieved on some standardized test, that drives poor prospective law students to near insanity.
"The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Worked too hard to be disappointed with June 29th score...