Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions Process Q&A: The Inside Perspective  (Read 24223 times)

M2

Re: Admissions Process Q&A: The Inside Perspective
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2004, 08:04:32 PM »
thanks!

ruskiegirl

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2004, 10:05:31 PM »
While the OP is offering some valuable advice to those who are applying to the school where he worked, we cannot assume that the same practices and tendencies are true across the board.  Every admissions committee is going to look for different things.  That's why a person can get rejected by one school and get into another, even if the rank difference between the two is marginal. 

The staffing of admissions committees at some, if not most schools, changes every year.  Inevitably, the characteristics of each one will change as membership also changes.

Once again, I think the OP's adivce will be very valuable to someone that applies to that particular school.  For the rest, I would take his advice with a grain of salt.

dr_draino

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »
I'll second Ruskie's comments and mention what Hurley has mentioned a few times...he was NOT an admissions officer nor was he privy to their discussions about who to admit/deny.  A good source, but be aware of which topics he has special insider info on and which he's slightly more informed than the rest of us on.  Like Ruskie said, a good thread, and we're thankful Hurley, but I'm sure you'd agree that your expertise isn't quite as deep or specific as some of the posters seem to hope.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2004, 10:43:50 PM »
wow, an informative thread on LSD!   :P

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2004, 11:12:26 PM »
Thank you for the great information Hurley. This has been one of the more supportive, useful, and positive threads on the site.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Hurley97

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2004, 11:23:38 PM »
I'll second Ruskie's comments and mention what Hurley has mentioned a few times...he was NOT an admissions officer nor was he privy to their discussions about who to admit/deny.  A good source, but be aware of which topics he has special insider info on and which he's slightly more informed than the rest of us on.  Like Ruskie said, a good thread, and we're thankful Hurley, but I'm sure you'd agree that your expertise isn't quite as deep or specific as some of the posters seem to hope.

I agree with you Draino.  I've also tried to clearly point out where I am not too sure and where I am switching gears from my own vs. adcomm's opinions.  I am not in the inner circle, but I work for them.  I've asked lots of questions from the chief staff though, and as a result I've learned some things that I hope will be helpful to the members here. 

They have been so helpful to me with my questions as well.

I would also like to agree with what Ruskiegirl said about different opinions at different schools.  Several times in my answers I have noted that the applicants will NEED to contact the school to find out what their specific policies are. 

However, a large amount of the advice that I gave is pretty standard.  I don't think that anyone here would be disadvantaged in any way by taking my advice.  A professional application, a well-written statement, solid LORs, and an addendum (if needed) are all crucial items for those applicants who are "on the line" and thus competing with a large amount of other applicants with similar credentials.

I hope that everyone here gets into the law school of their choice. ;D

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2004, 05:50:59 AM »
Hurley A few things and some questions for you (BTW thanks for all the advice so far, this has offered tons of insight both directly and indirectly  ;D
1) I am rather aware that diversity plays a hand in decisions, but just as I have pondered this before I would like to ask you (based on either personal experience or inference from ad coms). I am and have always been visually impaired. I have requested no disability assistance whatsoever, quite the contrary I have actually assisted DRC students many times officially through my school. FACT: I was born with a VERY RARE eye disorder and thus born entirely blind. After 7 eye surguries at 3 1/2 mos old, it was determined that my condition has left one eye blind and the condition is dibilitating for the rest of my life... My 1st question is is this kind of diversity (visual impairment overcame adversity) looked at as "standing out" when say my GPA is good (3.9 UGRAD, 3.8 LSAC) and LSAT is fair (165+) or lower. Granted I have opted also not to take the DRC route for the LSAT (untimed, readers etc). Does the fact that I am working on publication of my first novel add to this picture of dversity and could be worked out in my PS. SOrry to ramble this question on I have just noticed that your responses are very sincere and genuine and I have wondered about this.

My 2nd story/question
2) About GRO (replacing a lower grade for a higher second attempt). I had a picky English teacher that came from Molecular Bio mastersa to English (I know wtf?) I got my first and only C, due to the fact that my unworked style (though argumentively sound) of a figurative lens clashed with the hardnosed tecnical bio lens that the teacher wanted. My structure and content was said to be very good and my mechanics was fairly well done she just did not agree with my style approach. LOng story short I never got a above a C on any of my essays (when other PHd's said I deserved better) and ended up with my only C on my ugrad transcript. I am GROing this class and doing very well (the teacher may even be a rec for me!) she disagreed just as the following semester (technically my 2nd semester in college) I aced the ENGL 102 class which coupled with the ENGL 101 that I got the C in. In my school (I don't know abou others) it is apparent that ENGL 102 is more difficult and I got an A... OK all this rambling leads to a point and a question. The point is I WILL get an A when I GRO English 101 (from the original C that was unwarranted an unfair) This is my only C in ugrad. SHould I addendum this citing some of these points (in a less whiny fashion that is)? Pojint out that with the xception of that C (my 1st semester as well)  I retook a class that had already recived credit for just not satsified with the resulting grade to the point that I wanted to redo it. (NOTE didn't GRO just becasue I didn't care or partied the first time around, mind you my papers were exceptional even when ended up with biased grade) My GPA is exceptional with this C but is stellar without it. WHat are your thoughts, Hurley?? Thank you for reading my long-winded stories any advice is thuroughly appreciated...   

Ps I am awre LSAC will avg the grades and I will be applying early/mid Oct 05, I just want to hear the thoughts on what differences the addendum would make (the lone C grade) and my visual impairment as diversity

Everyone is welcome to add to this advice if they want to, hey it's a free country... Have a good night all!  ;D
IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »
Hurley,

Just came back from a few days off LSD, and found this remarkable thread.  Thanks for helping us all out, your responses have been extremely insightful.

I have a question or two of my own... so as not to overload you, I'll just ask 2 for now.

1) I grew up as an American abroad in Eastern Europe, and addressed this fact in my personal statement.  From the standpoint of diversity, how valuable is this?  I know it will probably give me a great edge over people who have lived in the same place their entire lives, or even those who appeal to their "study abroad" trips to stand out... but in terms of URM, how would I stack up?  Is my background growing up in Eastern Europe valuable enough to make me very competitive where I would otherwise be a distant long-shot as a white male w/165/3.85?

2) Financial aid - I know you weren't in the financial aid department, but do you think it's possible to bargain for a better financial aid package according to what you've seen, especially once other people start turning down offers of admission and aid packages to go elsewhere?  If so, do you think it would be helpful to have offers of admission from higher-ranked schools, so you could say "I'd love to go to (Vandy, for instance) but you're not helping me pay for it and I have an offer of admission from (Michigan, say)?  Would that give you more bargaining power in the process, in your view?  If you have any special insight into how all of this works, I'd be interested to hear it since I'm really hoping to find my way to some money.

Thanks for this thread and the time you've taken to help us with this!

ZAP

lexylit

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2004, 11:18:58 AM »
Ps I am awre LSAC will avg the grades and I will be applying early/mid Oct 05, I just want to hear the thoughts on what differences the addendum would make (the lone C grade) and my visual impairment as diversity

i know im no hurley, but i kept my mouth shut about my one C (that kept me from phi beta kappa, etc etc). i think these things happen and with a solid gpa like yours (or mine) it just sounds whiny. they'll see it on your transcript and figure something weird happened, or in my case maybe theyll see that lab science is the thing at which i suck at most in life.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2004, 11:30:06 AM »
Same here... they'll probably think "oh, so he sucks at math".  And I'll say "guilty as charged".  And we'll all go happily on our way.

ZAP

i know im no hurley, but i kept my mouth shut about my one C (that kept me from phi beta kappa, etc etc). i think these things happen and with a solid gpa like yours (or mine) it just sounds whiny. they'll see it on your transcript and figure something weird happened, or in my case maybe theyll see that lab science is the thing at which i suck at most in life.