Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will SCOTUS Decision errode law schools positions on URMs?  (Read 2050 times)

difinity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Will SCOTUS Decision errode law schools positions on URMs?
« on: June 29, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062800896.html?hpid=sec-education

Welcome to the Roberts court!  I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that if consideration of race can't be used in the assignment of students in grade/high school, then post-secondary education admission and race-based scholarships are the next under the gun. 

160 / ~3

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will SCOTUS Decision errode law schools positions on URMs?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:27 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062800896.html?hpid=sec-education

Welcome to the Roberts court!  I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that if consideration of race can't be used in the assignment of students in grade/high school, then post-secondary education admission and race-based scholarships are the next under the gun. 

Hmm, that would seem logical, but this case dealt with a pretty big issue unto itself.  This has been a contentious issue for decades, almost since Brown v. Board of Education II.  I agree I think this does indicate the court's logic and rationale, which would not support AA, on the other hand, this was not the court dealing with a bigger issue (AA) in smaller steps to eventually get rid of it, this was the court trying to decide a contentious issue for its own sake.  So yes, I do agree this is probably pretty indicative of the court's view of the relationship between race and education, on the other hand I would not go so far as to say this is a first step in finding AA impermissible. 
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

NotSmails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
Grutter would have been decided differently w Alito in place of O'Conner.  It's only a matter of time.

I was just surprised the Michigan lawyers could keep a straight face while saying race only constituted a small fraction of the "total applicant" after the other side brought the stats out and showed that 90% of blacks with a 155-160 were accepted (less than 1% of whites were accepted with this score) and you had to go to 173 to find a score where 90% of whites were accepted.

Small, marginal boost indeed.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »
Grutter would have been decided differently w Alito in place of O'Conner.  It's only a matter of time.

I was just surprised the Michigan lawyers could keep a straight face while saying race only constituted a small fraction of the "total applicant" after the other side brought the stats out and showed that 90% of blacks with a 155-160 were accepted (less than 1% of whites were accepted with this score) and you had to go to 173 to find a score where 90% of whites were accepted.

You'd be surprised, I am just a summer intern before my third year of law school, but sometimes at the firm where I am working I will think umm, our client as a huge whole in our class, yet I will deny that wholeheartedly and with a 100% conviction if somebody else said that, you can really get into your role as advocate.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »
You'd be surprised, I am just a summer intern before my third year of law school, but sometimes at the firm where I am working I will think umm, our client as a huge whole in our class, yet I will deny that wholeheartedly and with a 100% conviction if somebody else said that, you can really get into your role as advocate.

??? ??? ??? ???  I am having trouble following your post. 
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:26:44 PM »

:D

Translation:

"You'd be surprised. I am just a summer intern before my third year of law school, but sometimes at the firm where I am working, I will think umm, there is a huge hole in the case that we are making on behalf of our client. Yet, if challenged, I would deny it. One can quite easily drink one's own Kool-Aid, which is the essence of being a good advocate."

:)  You are a genius!  What a difference a few words and punctuation marks make!  Thanks.  I get it now!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »

Yeah, I am a choppy writer.  For what its worth, the attorneys who argued that case almost definitely believed wholeheartedly in their arguments, not only as attorney's, but in their non-legal life too.  I was making a side comment unrelated to Grutter on how when you are arguing before a court you take on the role of advocate and you are more than willing to blind yourself to the facts-to do otherwise would mean to acknowledge you are compromising your morals by arguing for a result that probably is not just, which even if true, would not be good for the self-esteem.

Letsgo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

O'Connor
Cardozo '09

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »

O'Connor

Justice O'Connor is the chancellor of William and Mary but the dean of students sent out an email saying see Justice O'Conner speak on X matter, he later sent out a corrective email noting the mis-spelling.