Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from a provisionally accredited school?  (Read 818 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transferring from a provisionally accredited school?
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:21 PM »
I know the rule of thumb is to go to a school that you can see yourself graduating from.  However, just out of curiosity, has anyone done any research on transferring from provisional schools such as La Verne or John Marshall? 

I have checked the transferapps group page on yahoo and cannot seem to find much info.   

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from a provisionally accredited school?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Provisional schools are not going to get you very far in the transfer process, assuming your grades are good once you finish 1L. Even younger schools that are fully ABA accredited pose a risk.

For example: one guy from Ave Maria was rejected from Georgetown despite having a 3.9 law school GPA and solid pre-law numbers. I'm shocked too, but my guess is higher ranked schools don't like dealing with people from lower ranked law schools that haven't been around that long.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/message/17857

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/message/17869

Also, take into account that many schools will not accept transfers unless they come from an AALS accredited school. Since a provisional ABA school cannot be an AALS accredited school, you are effectively shut out from those.

RETAKE THE LSAT and try to get in to your local state school.

READ THIS AGAIN:

Question: I'm a 0L going to X school next year, but I really want to transfer to a higher ranked school after 1L, what are my prospects / chances of doing this?

Answer:

You have no "prospects" right now because you have no law school grades. It is impossible to predict what your grades will be, even if you did well in previous schooling or think you'll work extra hard. Lots of people in law school work hard, and many do not get good grades. I personally know some bright people who are FAILING or wound up with mediocre grades even though they worked hard.

Your chances of making the top 10% are slim, especially at a lower ranked school. The grading is harsh and the competition is smarter and more intense than you think. NEVER go to a low ranked school planning to transfer. You will likely be very disappointed with how things turn out. Waiting a year and retaking the LSAT, then reapplying is much easier than going through a year of law school only to find out you are stuck.

I know the rule of thumb is to go to a school that you can see yourself graduating from.  However, just out of curiosity, has anyone done any research on transferring from provisional schools such as La Verne or John Marshall? 

I have checked the transferapps group page on yahoo and cannot seem to find much info.   

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 12:14:57 AM »
the common theme is to retake the LSAT but if that is not an option then what? 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:32:54 PM »
If you don't like your school choices, you'll have to retake, plain and simple.

DO NOT BANK ON TRANSFERRING, ODDS ARE, YOU PROBABLY WON'T BE ABLE TO.

Provisional schools are almost always a bad idea. If you can't get into a top school, try to raise your LSAT to get into your local state school. If your local state schools are too hard to get into, move somewhere else and get residency, then reapply once you have residency to the local state schools there.

Retaking is always an option. If you don't want to retake, you are being stubborn and unreasonable.

Another year off is no big deal. If you're at a loss for what to do for that year, I'd recommend doing AmeriCorps if you want something productive and interesting to do for a year off.

http://www.americorps.org

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:24 PM »
It is possible to transfer to some schools. My school for example has a transfer student from FAMU. I believe that school is provisionally acredited. Good luck either way. haha
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 06:30:50 PM »
It is possible to transfer to some schools. My school for example has a transfer student from FAMU. I believe that school is provisionally acredited. Good luck either way. haha

I think my school may have someone from Ave Maria, but not sure. Some provisional schools are only there because they are new- take FIU for instance. Once it got off provisional status, it debuted into T3.

There are plenty of people who cannot retake- especially if they're older and have other things to consider like family issues, etc.