Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who Pwns D.C.  (Read 2427 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
Who Pwns D.C.
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
In your eyes who really owns D.C. in terms of firm placement. UVa is ahead of Gtown in the rankings, but does the fact that it is not in DC offset Gtowns lower ranking and larger class size? Additionialy, with UPenn being a haircut and a shave away from DC all things being equal if a JD only sought firm placement in DC which school would he/she be better off with? Feel free to make sweeping generalization and/or comment in absolutes. >:(

thedudebro

• View Profile
Re: Who Pwns D.C.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 06:44:02 PM »
lawfirmaddict2007.blogspot.com

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:26:13 AM »
bump

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:01:39 PM »
I don't know really - the T3 certainly do really well. A friend who graduated from GULC was of the opinion that GULC students in the top quarter or so placed really well, but that many outside the top quarter or so had difficulties finding jobs they liked at graduation. My impression is that all else equal UVA>GULC for DC placement and in IP law GW would rival both of them.
HLS 2010

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 01:03:46 AM »
UVa.  Gtown's class is so large they swamp the market every year.  And UVa's rep is better.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:44:36 AM »
And UVa's rep is better.

Only among USNWR subscribers.

And readers, which includes most attorneys.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 01:56:02 PM »
And UVa's rep is better.

::) Very doubtful that most attorneys check the school rankings regularly.

Even the attorney recruiters I've known would not be able to list the T14 schools.  If you ask a DC attorney recruiter to name some schools in the top 10, they'll likely include Georgetown.  They're not glued to US News like people on these boards.  They look at schools in groups.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:18:55 PM »
http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/ciolli.final.pdf

Check out this placement study. I think UVA does a little better than GULC despite it's location.

If you want to know more about each school's placement, call their career offices and request their employment books. The books will show you the OCI grade guidelines for different firms. If the grade guidelines are lower at UVA, you have your answer.

DC is a pretty competitive market from what I've heard. If what I've heard is true, and you're interested in the top DC firms, you might be in competition with students from Y, H, and S.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 12:27:04 AM »
And UVa's rep is better.

Even the attorney recruiters I've known would not be able to list the T14 schools.  If you ask a DC attorney recruiter to name some schools in the top 10, they'll likely include Georgetown.  They're not glued to US News like people on these boards.  They look at schools in groups.

All attorneys in all regions know the traditional top schools, which include Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, and Michigan.  Virginia is pretty close to this group, especially on the east coast.  Gtown isn't far behind the more traditional national schools, but because it floods the local market, UVa grads probably have an advantage.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »
And UVa's rep is better.

All attorneys in all regions know the traditional top schools, which include Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, and Michigan.  Virginia is pretty close to this group, especially on the east coast.  Gtown isn't far behind the more traditional national schools, but because it floods the local market, UVa grads probably have an advantage.

"I want to practice in DC. I think I'll go to Vanderbilt over George Washington because George Washington grads flood the DC market."

Was Vandy one of the traditional national schools?  I wasn't aware of that.

To most attorneys, Georgetown was traditionally somewhere between the traditional top 5 and other elite schools like Vandy. Obviously, because of their reputational advantage, you'd take Gtown over Vandy.