Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URGENT!! Loyola vs. USD  (Read 2032 times)

Harry Potter

• View Profile
URGENT!! Loyola vs. USD
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »
Hello,

I have a $20,000.00 renewable scholarship with no stipulations at USD and a $15,000.00 renewable scholarship (contingent of my GPA staying at 2.6 or above) at Loyola.   I want to practice in SOCAL.  Any suggestions??  Will it be hard to maintain a 2.6 (I hope not, but who knows how first year will go)??  Are the rankings that different??  Is a renewable scholarship with no stipulations that is worht 5k more a year enough to offset 20 spots in the rankings??  USD is no. 1 in their market, while Loyola is no. 3 in theirs.  Any input will help....need to send in the $500 deposit today for Loyola, but am broke and don't want to stretch it if I don't have to. THANKS

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT!! Loyola vs. USD
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:08:43 PM »
You say it's urgent
Make it fast, make it urgent
Do it quick, do it urgent
Gotta rush, make it urgent
Want it quick
Urgent, urgent, emergency
So urgent, emergency
Emer... emer... emer...
It's urgent

But on a more serious note, if you wanna work in LA go to Loyola, if you wanna work in SD, go to USD.  If you can't make up your mind, here are some things to consider:

1)  USD dropped 20 spots last year, who knows where it will finally equilibrate, could be T3
2)  Loyola is behind at least 2 schools for LA biglaw
3)  The money is insignificant in the grand scheme of things... if you dont keep your scholarship at either place you should just drop out, because that means your grades arent good enough to get a job when you graduate anyway.

Harry Potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:42:39 PM »
thanks

AaronRCheng

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
I'm a 2L at Loyola right now - placed in the top 20% of my class.  One thing that I learned this past year in school is it really is much more important about how well you do then where you go.  Top 10% at Loyola will be considered on par with the top 15-20% at UCLA or USC.  The same big law firms recruit in OCI, and you have a very strong alumni base in the LA market.  If you're in the top 10% at San Diego, you'll be set for a job in San Diego and even jobs in LA.  People always say that USD means you have to stay in San Diego - the only way thats remotely true is that you won't be able to do externships in the LA market while you're in school.  Hell, I filled out my OCI bids last week and a good 30% of the big law firms were from San Diego and Orange County (and sadly, 20% were from San Bernardino and the Inland Empire).

Keeping a 2.6 GPA is NOT hard at all - the 50% of the class is set to 2.78, so you can still fall below half of the students to keep your scholarship - it won't be hard as long as you do your work.  Everyone that I know that has a scholarship at Loyola is keeping it for next year as well.

For the $20k in San Diego, you have to consider that living in San Diego or La Jolla can be significantly more expensive than it will in LA.

I wouldn't even worry about that 20+ spot drop from USD - firms aren't going to stop recruiting because of a single anomaly.  USD is a solid school and is well recognized on its merit.  When I was interviewing with the IRS a few months back to work with their tax litigation division, the attorneys kept going on and on about how awesome USD's tax LLM program was.  Just having the option to have scholarships at both schools, you'll be fine.
Loyola it is... and damn happy about it

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »
i agree w/pretty much everything aaron said...except the COL in sd/la jolla...rent ranges here just like it does in la...depends on the neighborhood and the actual place...i live in la jolla, i share a 3br condo with 2 other guys and i pay $600 a month (and no, it's not a *&^% hole)...i have friends within a quarter mile who have their own 1br and one with a studio paying about $1100...i have friends throughout the city who pay anywhere from $600 to $1100...it just depends on the specific place as it does in la...
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 02:51:16 AM »
I'm a 2L at Loyola right now - placed in the top 20% of my class.  . . . Hell, I filled out my OCI bids last week and a good 30% of the big law firms were from San Diego and Orange County (and sadly, 20% were from San Bernardino and the Inland Empire).

You're getting biglaw OCI interviews at top 20%? Why does Loyola 2L keep saying you need top 10%? And welcome to the board. It's good to hear from actual students.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:52 AM »
I would pick USD.  A larger scholarship at another T2 with no stipulations is too good of a deal to pass up for a school not incredibly differently ranked.  You never know what life or health issues could pop up in the future and affect your grades, and it just gives you so much less to worry about if you ever have a weak semester.  Good luck.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »
I'm a 2L at Loyola right now - placed in the top 20% of my class.  . . . Hell, I filled out my OCI bids last week and a good 30% of the big law firms were from San Diego and Orange County (and sadly, 20% were from San Bernardino and the Inland Empire).

You're getting biglaw OCI interviews at top 20%? Why does Loyola 2L keep saying you need top 10%? And welcome to the board. It's good to hear from actual students.

because hes a bitter a-hole?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:17:14 PM »
because hes a bitter a-hole?

Actually I was wrong. Cheng made bids, but that doesn't mean he got interviews. Check out this post I found by googling Loyola 2L OCI.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,88222.0.html

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Top 10% at Loyola will be considered on par with the top 15-20% at UCLA or USC.

I also need to call Cheng out on this statement. This might be a new tier 2 propaganda technique, as in "sure only top 10% get firms here, but even at USC only top 15% get them." Cheng might have heard this from his school's admin, and is now trumpeting it.

The numbers say otherwise.

The 2005 75th%, 50% and 25% percentile private practice salaries for USC were: $110,000, $125,000 and $125,000.

The 2005 75th%, 50% and 25% percentile private practice salaries for Loyola were: $63,000, $70,000 and $115,000.

So as you can see, the bottom 75% of private sector graduates at USC are getting the same jobs as Loyola's top 25% private sector graduates.