Law School Discussion

You are African? Your English is Excellent!

GoldenAfro

• Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
Re: You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 10:32:34 AM »
"proper english"

I hate that.  people just speak in ways that fit their exigencies.  language is a communicative tool, not a dog at a dog show groomed for a blue ribbon.  language adjusts for environment and anyone that didnt would be improper.

I totally agree.

OperaAttorney

• Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 06:38:02 PM »
IBO KWENU! :)

I'm Nigerian and get the same reaction to my "proper English" from time to time.

I don't trip though. Americans--white, black, yellow, etc-- are sometimes ignorant as hell! It's as though they subscribe to the following rule: IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY, THEN IT IS NONE OF MY CONCERN! I simply tell them Nigeria is a former British colony and ask if they've ever travelled overseas.  The answer is usually NO; this gives me a chance to educate them further.

So where are all you NAIJA peeps headed this fall?

Can I get a head count?

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »
IBO KWENU! :)

I'm Nigerian and get the same reaction to my "proper English" from time to time.

I don't trip though. Americans--white, black, yellow, etc-- are sometimes ignorant as hell! It's as though they subscribe to the following rule: IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY, THEN IT IS NONE OF MY CONCERN! I simply tell them Nigeria is a former British colony and ask if they've ever travelled overseas.  The answer is usually NO; this gives me a chance to educate them further.

So where are all you NAIJA peeps headed this fall?

Can I get a head count?

I just sent you a PM :)