Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You are African? Your English is Excellent!  (Read 3222 times)

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
Re: You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »
"proper english"

I hate that.  people just speak in ways that fit their exigencies.  language is a communicative tool, not a dog at a dog show groomed for a blue ribbon.  language adjusts for environment and anyone that didnt would be improper.

I totally agree.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »
IBO KWENU! :)

I'm Nigerian and get the same reaction to my "proper English" from time to time.

I don't trip though. Americans--white, black, yellow, etc-- are sometimes ignorant as hell! It's as though they subscribe to the following rule: IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY, THEN IT IS NONE OF MY CONCERN! I simply tell them Nigeria is a former British colony and ask if they've ever travelled overseas.  The answer is usually NO; this gives me a chance to educate them further.

So where are all you NAIJA peeps headed this fall?

Can I get a head count?
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 11:12:58 PM »
IBO KWENU! :)

I'm Nigerian and get the same reaction to my "proper English" from time to time.

I don't trip though. Americans--white, black, yellow, etc-- are sometimes ignorant as hell! It's as though they subscribe to the following rule: IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY, THEN IT IS NONE OF MY CONCERN! I simply tell them Nigeria is a former British colony and ask if they've ever travelled overseas.  The answer is usually NO; this gives me a chance to educate them further.

So where are all you NAIJA peeps headed this fall?

Can I get a head count?

I just sent you a PM :)