Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You are African? Your English is Excellent!  (Read 3200 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 09:30:49 PM »
For fun:

http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/usaquiz.html

I haven't found a good one of the whole world yet.  This site has it broken down by continents mainly.

Edit:  OK, I got a 146.  At least I would kick the butts of the people who were surveyed in that article, though I'm sure someone here will get a 150.

Oooh... 115 out of 117 on Europe.  It took me three tries to get Serbia right, so that was my mistake.  Somebody play with me.

150 on the states quiz!

eta: these things remind me of the final round of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
Columbia 3L

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »
For fun:

I haven't found a good one of the whole world yet.  This site has it broken down by continents mainly.

Edit:  OK, I got a 146.  At least I would kick the butts of the people who were surveyed in that article, though I'm sure someone here will get a 150.

Oooh... 115 out of 117 on Europe.  It took me three tries to get Serbia right, so that was my mistake.  Somebody play with me.

142 on the USA one... missed Minnesota, Wyoming and Kansas and clicked the wrong state for Oklahoma the first time.   :)

107/162 on Africa.  Much better than I expected!  If they didn't tell you what country it is when you make an error I wouldn't have done nearly as well tho.   :-\

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »
umm... you guys are retarded. I got everyone right for USA. How could you not?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »

i did too
Columbia 3L

Wunjin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 12:39:04 AM »
This is what my pre-law advisor said. >:(

She isn't the first to say this and I'm sure she won't be the last - why do people assume that someone who is African won't speak English well? And what do I say after this?  "Thank you?"'  "Oh, Nigeria was colonized by the British so we speak English?"

I can shrug it off as ignorance but I hate the assumption.

Sorry - just venting.  Now, me go study for LSAT!  ;)

Just because England colonized a given country doesn't mean that the inhabitants of that country necessarily speak good English.  There are a hell of a lot of terrible English speakers in India, for example.  Not to mention the fact that half the time you see Africans speaking English on TV (on the Discovery channel or National Geographic or whatever) they have to be subtitled to be understood.  And I don't mean people straight out of the bush, either. 

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 12:51:27 AM »

She isn't the first to say this and I'm sure she won't be the last - why do people assume that someone who is African won't speak English well? And what do I say after this?  "Thank you?"'  "Oh, Nigeria was colonized by the British so we speak English?"

Just because England colonized a given country doesn't mean that the inhabitants of that country necessarily speak good English.  There are a hell of a lot of terrible English speakers in India, for example.  Not to mention the fact that half the time you see Africans speaking English on TV (on the Discovery channel or National Geographic or whatever) they have to be subtitled to be understood.  And I don't mean people straight out of the bush, either. 

Well yeah not everyone will speak English well but if England colonized a colony you also shouldn't be shocked if you encounter a highly educated person from that country who speaks English.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 02:10:12 AM »
"proper english"

I hate that.  people just speak in ways that fit their exigencies.  language is a communicative tool, not a dog at a dog show groomed for a blue ribbon.  language adjusts for environment and anyone that didnt would be improper.
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »

ummm, I think the subtitles have more to do with speaking with a heavy accent than speaking "good english"

although I have MAJOR issues with your last sentence for the sake of argument, who says that "people straight out of the bush" can not speak "good english." Perhaps you should define good English first???

Taking up to much space yada yada yada..lol...I totally agree with on the language equals communicative tool bit. :)

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 06:16:59 AM »

:D

Please dont rub it in.....I feel bad enough as it is :-\

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 08:00:42 AM »
For fun:

As a Geography major I feel it's my duty to state that simply knowing where states and countries are is not even the tip of the iceberg of what geography is. That's a popular misconception and why a lot of people underestimate the importance of geography.

Admittedly a straight definition of geography is hard to give. Here is an explanation of what geography really is.

There are two main branches of geography: human geography and physical geography. Human geography is concerned with the spatial aspects of human existence - how people and their activity are distributed in space, how they use and perceive space, and how they create and sustain the places that make up the earth's surface. Human geographers work in the fields of urban and regional planning, transportation, marketing, real estate, tourism, and international business.

Physical geographers study patterns of climates, land forms, vegetation, soils, and water. They forecast the weather, manage land and water resources, and analyze and plan for forests, rangelands, and wetlands. Many human and physical geographers have skills in cartography and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).

Geographers also study the linkages between human activity and natural systems. Geographers were, in fact, among the first scientists to sound the alarm that human-induced changes to the environment were beginning to threaten the balance of life itself. They are active in the study of global warming, desertification, deforestation, loss of biodiversity, groundwater pollution, and flooding.

Sorry if I come off like an azzhat. I come from a program that produces the most African-American geographers in the nation, and we are taught to be advocates of geography especially in the black community. We have numerous multi-millionaires from our department that started their own companies, and one even attended Harvard Law School while "only" scoring in the mid 150's on his LSAT. He did well by the way,(further proof that the LSAT is a farce, but that's an entirely different subject). On a side note G.I.S. (Geographic Information System/s) is an amazingly deep and powerful tool for almost any discipline. It can be used for demographics, behavioral sciences, politics, resource allocation, crime, business placement, and much more. I'm sure that with a little creativity it could be used for law as well.

With all that being said I still missed a few states on that mini-geo quiz  ;D