Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You are African? Your English is Excellent!  (Read 3249 times)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 08:35:06 PM »
"You're Haitian? You don't look Haitian"

I mean I hate when PEOPLE say that.

I get "You're black? You don't look black" and then people try to tell me that my mom is not really black.....excuse me?

Ignorant people, I swear.
UMiami c/o 2010

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 08:53:21 PM »

I get "You're black? You don't look black" and then people try to tell me that my mom is not really black.....excuse me?

I get the same thing all the time, and usually from people that are one Ohio winter from being my complexion :P

Oh, and gotta love this question: "What are you?"
Everday I'm HUSL'in

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »

Wait, why do they say that your mom isn't black? Is she an albino or something?

She is just light- like  a Halle Berry complexion, but both her parents are full black
UMiami c/o 2010

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 09:37:11 PM »
Personally I wouldn't read much into it.  If people are assuming you are foreign born (and the second implicit assumption being that you are ESL), then it's a pretty natural reaction.  I have some German relatives, and I'm amazed that they speak "American" English better, and with a clearer accent, than some of my own friends.  I'm certainly not saying, and I doubt most other people are saying, that Africans or Germans can't speak English well.  It's just a reaction to the assumption, correct or incorrect, that English is a secondary language for you.  Certainly not worth messing with your state of mind while studying for the LSAT.  But if it bothers you that much, at least stock up on some sort of witty riposte or something.  "Oh really?  Thank you.  Well, you speak English very well for an American", or something like that :P

Tag since the British consider American english as junk anyway  ;)

Which is bull, especially since American English is more conservative than British English.  Language evolves.  It evolves in multiple directions.  Get over it.

Is this a joke or something? There is no doubt that language evolves and that it does evolve in different directions. How in the world is American english more conservative than British english mate? Last time I checked being conservative meant sticking to the status quo, maintaining tradition, to leave little room for change or what have you, I think it is pretty clear to the world whose version of english has done the aforementioned.
Washington University School of Law 2010

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »
Guys, seriously with all due respect for the african american. As an Haitian, I have worked in some corporation where people admire me for my heavy frenchy accent. While some of my co-workers questioning the way that some african american speak the english language. The fact that one is foreigner and speaking with an accent does not mean that such person does not speak proper english.
I think that Bill Cosby is right by saying that speaking proper english does not mean that one is trying to be "White". It only means speaking the language properly.
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »
Personally I wouldn't read much into it.  If people are assuming you are foreign born (and the second implicit assumption being that you are ESL), then it's a pretty natural reaction.  I have some German relatives, and I'm amazed that they speak "American" English better, and with a clearer accent, than some of my own friends.  I'm certainly not saying, and I doubt most other people are saying, that Africans or Germans can't speak English well.  It's just a reaction to the assumption, correct or incorrect, that English is a secondary language for you.  Certainly not worth messing with your state of mind while studying for the LSAT.  But if it bothers you that much, at least stock up on some sort of witty riposte or something.  "Oh really?  Thank you.  Well, you speak English very well for an American", or something like that :P

Tag since the British consider American english as junk anyway  ;)

Which is bull, especially since American English is more conservative than British English.  Language evolves.  It evolves in multiple directions.  Get over it.

Is this a joke or something? There is no doubt that language evolves and that it does evolve in different directions. How in the world is American english more conservative than British english mate? Last time I checked being conservative meant sticking to the status quo, maintaining tradition, to leave little room for change or what have you, I think it is pretty clear to the world whose version of english has done the aforementioned.

In many respects, American English is more similar to the English spoken at the time the two dialects began separating. 
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »
This is what my pre-law advisor said. >:(

She isn't the first to say this and I'm sure she won't be the last - why do people assume that someone who is African won't speak English well? And what do I say after this?  "Thank you?"'  "Oh, Nigeria was colonized by the British so we speak English?"

I can shrug it off as ignorance but I hate the assumption.

Sorry - just venting.  Now, me go study for LSAT!  ;)

Yeah that is pretty annoying and you have a right to be pissed.  Americans aren't particularly knowledgable about geography/history/culture so I think a lot of the people you're dealing with just don't realize there are people in Africa who are native English speakers. I have a friend from Kenya and people would always ask her if she spoke "African."

Look at the results of this "survey":

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11/20/geography.quiz/

Pretty sad.  Maybe it'll help you be a little more understanding of people's ignorance about your country.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
For fun:

http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/usaquiz.html

I haven't found a good one of the whole world yet.  This site has it broken down by continents mainly.

Edit:  OK, I got a 146.  At least I would kick the butts of the people who were surveyed in that article, though I'm sure someone here will get a 150.

Oooh... 115 out of 117 on Europe.  It took me three tries to get Serbia right, so that was my mistake.  Somebody play with me.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
For fun:

I haven't found a good one of the whole world yet.  This site has it broken down by continents mainly.

Edit:  OK, I got a 146.  At least I would kick the butts of the people who were surveyed in that article, though I'm sure someone here will get a 150.

Oooh... 115 out of 117 on Europe.  It took me three tries to get Serbia right, so that was my mistake.  Somebody play with me.

I would but I know I'll just embarrass myself.   ;D

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
For fun:

123 out of the 150 points over here....terrible!
sad part is that I used to work in the traffic dept in a media company and we had to use US maps to send out tapes for shows.....pathetic ::)