Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You are African? Your English is Excellent!  (Read 3228 times)

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« on: June 28, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
This is what my pre-law advisor said. >:(

She isn't the first to say this and I'm sure she won't be the last - why do people assume that someone who is African won't speak English well? And what do I say after this?  "Thank you?"'  "Oh, Nigeria was colonized by the British so we speak English?"

I can shrug it off as ignorance but I hate the assumption.

Sorry - just venting.  Now, me go study for LSAT!  ;)

"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: You are African? Your English is Excellent!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »

She isn't the first to say this and I'm sure she won't be the last - why do people assume that someone who is African won't speak English well? And what do I say after this?  "Thank you?"'  "Oh, Nigeria was colonized by the British so we speak English?"

hahahaha....go ahead and vent girl. I've gotten that so many times! "O but you speak so well" or "Wow, you dont have an accent" My situation might be a bit different than most since I was born in the states but once people see my name, they assume everything under the sun...

Proud Igbo Girl :)

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
I think I would actually have the opposite reaction: "Oh, you are African, no wonder your English is so good!"

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:22:56 PM »
I think I would actually have the opposite reaction: "Oh, you are African, no wonder your English is so good!"

;D

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
Personally I wouldn't read much into it.  If people are assuming you are foreign born (and the second implicit assumption being that you are ESL), then it's a pretty natural reaction.  I have some German relatives, and I'm amazed that they speak "American" English better, and with a clearer accent, than some of my own friends.  I'm certainly not saying, and I doubt most other people are saying, that Africans or Germans can't speak English well.  It's just a reaction to the assumption, correct or incorrect, that English is a secondary language for you.  Certainly not worth messing with your state of mind while studying for the LSAT.  But if it bothers you that much, at least stock up on some sort of witty riposte or something.  "Oh really?  Thank you.  Well, you speak English very well for an American", or something like that :P
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:03:18 PM »
Personally I wouldn't read much into it.  If people are assuming you are foreign born (and the second implicit assumption being that you are ESL), then it's a pretty natural reaction.  I have some German relatives, and I'm amazed that they speak "American" English better, and with a clearer accent, than some of my own friends.  I'm certainly not saying, and I doubt most other people are saying, that Africans or Germans can't speak English well.  It's just a reaction to the assumption, correct or incorrect, that English is a secondary language for you.  Certainly not worth messing with your state of mind while studying for the LSAT.  But if it bothers you that much, at least stock up on some sort of witty riposte or something.  "Oh really?  Thank you.  Well, you speak English very well for an American", or something like that :P

Tag since the British consider American english as junk anyway  ;)
Washington University School of Law 2010

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »
Plus Americans are idiots when it comes to cultural awareness.  I once heard a teenager (no lie) ask a British woman how she learned to speak English so well.  :o

The woman was like, "You know my country is called ENGLAND, right?"
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »
"You're Haitian? You don't look Haitian"

I mean I hate when PEOPLE say that.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »

word, go ahead and vent gyrl!  that's some straight up ignance.  But I kinda admire what u did because I would've said something rather inappropriate in response  :D 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »

Tag since the British consider American english as junk anyway  ;)

Which is bull, especially since American English is more conservative than British English.  Language evolves.  It evolves in multiple directions.  Get over it.
Michigan Law Class of 2010