Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disregard financial aid office's advice?  (Read 1001 times)

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Disregard financial aid office's advice?
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
So, I have decided that I probably won't make the monthly interest payments on the 6.8% unsub Stafford and the 6.9% GradPLUS (which, if I did make payments could get reduced to 5.25%).

The financial aid office advises taking out as little as possible. After looking at my housing situation, I figure I don't need about $2000 in loans.

Would it be better to request as much money in loans as possible and invest into a SA (mine is currently at 6% APY, also looking into index funds)?

or

Heed the financial aid office and cut the $2000 from the loan?

I have read through some of the other threads, and it seems that many of you are of the mind "borrow as much as possible." I was just curious if you have had or know someone who has had such an experience and handled it successfully.

EDIT: changed financial approach. disregard above. :P

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disregard financial aid office's advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »
I can't recommend one or the other, but one thing to keep in mind is that attendance costs are based on the 9-month academic year, not the calendar year.  So if you get a low-paying job over 1L summer, it might be helpful to have that reserve.  I'm also not sure I'll need the full amount of my loans, but I'm taking them for the first year.  With any luck, I'll be correct in thinking that I can make do on less, and will reduce my 2L loans accordingly.  But my savings account balance isn't fantastically high, so I don't want to fall short this coming year -- if you've got plenty of money in savings, then taking the extra loans might not be worth it.

well eggy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »
So, I have decided that I probably won't make the monthly interest payments on the 6.8% unsub Stafford and the 6.9% GradPLUS (which, if I did make payments could get reduced to 5.25%).

The financial aid office advises taking out as little as possible. After looking at my housing situation, I figure I don't need about $2000 in loans.

Would it be better to request as much money in loans as possible and invest into a SA (mine is currently at 6% APY, also looking into index funds)?

or

Heed the financial aid office and cut the $2000 from the loan?

I have read through some of the other threads, and it seems that many of you are of the mind "borrow as much as possible." I was just curious if you have had or know someone who has had such an experience and handled it successfully.

Why would you pay for money at 6.8% to get a 6% return (that may also be taxable)?  Same goes for the index funds.

Erring on the side of safety for budgetary reasons, as PhilaGirl suggests, may be wise.  You can always pay back the money when you realize you don't need it--or, at least, you can be making the interest payments.

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 12:21:07 AM »
after talking with a friend this evening, I think I'm actually going to just pay the interest while in school. 1L month to month payments aren't looking too badly, but man the 3L is going to hurt.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone.